PDA

View Full Version : favorite baby gate for top of stairs?

spu
06-26-2003, 08:08 AM
I just got back from BRU and I came home without a gate... I had a really hard time figuring out which ones would be the safest and the hardest for the little buggers to figure out. We have one of those pressure gates right now that we bought way back when for our dot, but I want something more secure esp. since it's going at the top of the stairs.

What kinds of gates are the best? Are there certain things I should look for or certain kinds of hindges or locks?

Any suggestions would be great!!!

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte & else

nigele
06-26-2003, 09:43 AM
We love our Kidco Beechwood Gate. It is very sturdy and we were able to install it even though we have a funky configuration at the top of the stairs.

Good luck in your search!

r howard
07-05-2003, 09:50 AM
I don't need to make this purchase yet (baby's not due for a few months), but we're moving into a new house and I've started thinking about this (plus we have 2 dogs that I need to be able to keep downstairs). Is this gate pressure-mounted? I'm always afraid that with the right amount of pressure, the gate will give way. I'll be needing one at the top (and bottom) of a hardwood staircase. The possibility of that top one giving way gives me a chill!

Thanks.

baby4us
07-21-2003, 12:02 AM
i just read your posting...i don't know if you already bought a gate, but the Evenflo walk-through gate seems to be reasonably priced, and nice to use...we are at the same point you are, and it really is confusing looking at all those choices...please let me know if you find a good one

lisa, mom to

logan 7/24/03

cara1
07-23-2003, 01:17 PM
Can you attach the Kidco one to the wall on the other side rather than on the side itself of the stairs? (Am I making sense?)

ashleyst12
07-23-2003, 01:28 PM
Susan,
The pics of the kids are cute!!! My wife and I bought the EvenFlo Walk Through gate which has worked out great. My 22 mth old daughter walks up to try and shake it open but this thing doesn't budge. Hope this helps!!

Rob
Father to Joanna 22 mths

Momof3Labs
07-23-2003, 01:33 PM
We also have this Kidco gate and are happy with it.

Momof3Labs
07-23-2003, 01:34 PM
You should only use wall-mounted gates at the top of stairs, for exactly the reasons that you mention. Pressure mounted gates are fine for the bottom of the stairs or to block off rooms.