PDA

View Full Version : Tub safety

Eilly
08-21-2003, 04:06 PM
How do you keep a baby safe in the tub? I have been bathing DS in a small infant bath (not one of the newborn ones, bigger) which has been really great. But now that he is mobile I want to put him in the full tub so he can spread his wings a bit. Trouble is I am terrified he will slip and hurt his head or injure himself against our rather sharp edged faucet. It is difficult as our tub has wall mounted glass shower doors and is right next to the basin so it will be hard for me to reach him when he is down the faucet end of the tub. Is there any kind of product that divides the tub in two so that he has to stay at the end opposite the faucet where I can actually reach him if he falls?
Any advice gratefully received!

COElizabeth
08-21-2003, 09:47 PM
I use a bath ring for James to sit in. He squirms around in it and leans over, but it keeps him relatively contained and definitely away from the faucet. They are about $10.

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

luvbeinmama
08-21-2003, 11:44 PM
They do sell spout covers. There are several different brands, some are rubber some are cloth. I have the Sassy ducky one. Make sure you have a non-skid surface on the bottom of the tub, or get the bath stickers. I haven't used a ring, you just have to be vigilant for a while. Are you short? I'm 5'6" and I can reach around my doors to the faucet end when I'm on my knees if necessary. If you really cannot reach, I would try the ring.

JElaineB
08-22-2003, 09:12 AM
I am using a "Snug Tub" which is an inflatable bath tub which fits in the bigger tub. Not as much room as the real tub, but lots more room than any plastic baby tub I have seen. It is very soft and gives him plenty of room to play and move. Depending on how old your baby is you might consider that before moving to the big tub.

Here is a Snug Tub Deluxe at Baby Center:
[link:store.babycenter.com/product/safety_health_and_babycare/bathing/tubs/3779?_tp_EC=webcap_text&_tp_ESC=4350|Baby Center Snug Tub Deluxe]

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

peanut4us
08-24-2003, 10:02 AM
where did you get that?

COElizabeth
08-25-2003, 04:06 PM
Target, I think. It's by Safety 1st and is blue.

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

Rachels
08-26-2003, 01:58 PM
Definitely get a spout cover, and get a sticky mat for the bottom of the tub. We got one that's a little bit padded. I found that Abigail very quickly learned how to handle herself in the tub. It helps at first to only put a few inches of water, too. As she has gotten more used to the tub, I've started adding more water. As for doors, we wound up taking ours off and getting a shower curtain. TONS easier.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

nigele
08-29-2003, 07:41 PM
We used a bath ring for a while until Tom started pulling himself up. At that point, it became back-breaking for me to constantly lean over the tub to make sure he didn't tip over the edge. Now we use a blow-up tub that I found at Marshall's for $6.99, very similar to the one somebody else here provided a link to. Tom loves it. The other great thing about it is I bring it with us on vacations so I can give him his bath without worrying about any germs that might be lurking in hotel bath tubs!

We also have a blow-up spout cover that we got at Toys R Us for around $5.

andibd
09-15-2003, 09:18 PM
I also use an inflatable 'Snug Tub' and we love it. It's the perfect size for him, takes only a couple of minutes to fill (as opposed to 10-15 for the regular tub) and the soft sides keep him from hitting his head on the hard tub. Until the baby is sitting up well though, it is a bit awkward to hold him while leaning over the tub. Best thing about it that they are pretty cheap - $10-$20 depending on the brand. I have one in his tub and one for travel (great when we are visiting grandparents).

vikivoly
09-21-2003, 10:28 AM
The blow up tubs work great for mobile babies and toddlers.

KimberleyDawn
09-23-2003, 08:47 AM
We use a tub ring and it has saved my back!!!! Our bath is extra deep AND has shower doors and I counldn't imagine using anything else. William's sitting skills are still questionable but getting better everyday so the ring is even better for us at this point.
Let us know what you end up getting.
Kim

Eilly
10-01-2003, 09:43 PM
Still haven't made a decision on this one but am leaning towards the snug tub. At the moment we are using a very large plastic tub -- just slightly smaller than the snug tub -- that my aunt gave us. She found it in a yard sale somewhere and it is great. My main problem now is how to stop DS from standing up in the bath...!