PDA

View Full Version : Cat Door

kransden
09-24-2003, 01:52 PM
I would like to add a pet door to my basement door for the cats. The door is solid wood. Any suggestions? I have seen several online but have never needed one before.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

amp
09-24-2003, 02:22 PM
I can't tell you the name of our cat door off the top of my head, but I will check for you if you want me to. Anyway, it looks like this one at Petsmart...

http://www.petsmart.com/products/product_28041.shtml

We actually took the door portion off to make it easier for the cats. Our door was not solid wood, so we had to put a little piece of flexible plastic around the opening after we took the flap off, to make it look nicer. The only thing I recommend is that you check the depth of the door vs. the depth of the device, just to make sure it will work since the two sides connect through the hole you make in the door.

HTH!

Momof3Labs
09-24-2003, 05:07 PM
I would highly recommend one that locks and only unlocks when the cat's collar transmitter is nearby. There was a post several months back about a baby that crawled through the cat door and fell down the basement stairs. He was okay, but it is a hazard to keep in mind.

amp
09-25-2003, 07:37 AM
Yikes! That's terrible! Luckily, my baby is far to big already to fit through the cat door and he's not crawling yet! Heck, my fatter cat just fits through it, and he's 4 lbs. lighter than the baby right now! :-)

kransden
09-25-2003, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll make sure to get one that the baby can't get her head through. You would think that the amount of trouble she gives me when putting on a shirt, she wouldn't put her head though a cat door, but I know she will! lol

Karin and Katie 10/24/02