PDA

View Full Version : Entertainment Center and TV's (question!)

etwahl
10-01-2003, 03:50 PM
We have an entertainment center and are in the process of buying a tv to put in it. the doors to the entertainment center close. 2 questions - should we secure the entertainment center to the wall? This thing is HEAVY...it's from Ethan Allen and solid wood. Does it need to be secured to the wall? I can't see any way that a child could pull it down, HOWEVER, I know nothing about this kind of thing. ALSO...what about the tv, specifically when the doors are open. Should we somehow screw the tv to the wall behind? (there is a hole in the back of the entertainment center).

Also, in our bedroom, we have a tv just sitting on a stand. Do we need to somehow secure this? If so, how? Are kids able to pull tvs down onto them?

I'm not asking this because i plan to let her just run around without supervision, but i just want to make sure that those moments when i have to go to the bathroom or she's out of my sight for a minute or two, won't be the time she has something fall down on her!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

mamahill
10-01-2003, 04:52 PM
We secure anything that MIGHT be able to tip to the wall (bookshelves, tall dressers, etc.). We have a shorter TV stand in the family room that I couldn't tip over since it's so low and wide, and the TV on top is about 200 lbs, so we didn't secure those. It sounds like it's a pretty good-sized piece of furniture, so I wouldn't think you'd need to secure it. But then, we secured our bookshelves first because of earthquakes, second because of Ainsleigh.

As mischeivous as Lauren may be, I doubt she'd be able to pull any good-sized TV down. Push them buttons maybe, but not pull.

egoldber
10-01-2003, 07:23 PM
Can you lock the doors to the entertainment center at all? That might be the easiest solution. We put a strap around our entertainment center so that Sarah couldn't open the doors. But honestly, I'd be more concerned about Lauren damaging your electronics then her pulling the TV down. UNLESS she happens to be a climber (which you have no way of knowing yet). If she is, then I'd cross that bridge when you come to it.

HTH,