PDA

View Full Version : Move the mobile or the mattress?

KMommie
10-02-2003, 12:33 PM
Not sure where this belongs, but it's a safety issue, so...

Kiki is now rolling over both ways easily. I noticed a few days ago, that she can reach up and pull on her Tiny Love Mobile. I'm sure this isn't safe, right?

So, do I remove the mobile for now? She LOVES it so much, I hate to get rid of it. I'm 5'3, and would like to leave the mattress as high as I can for as long as I can, just from an "ease of use" standpoint. Is it unsafe to keep the mattress at the highest height? She isn't pulling up at all, can barely tripod sit, but can scoot around the crib.

TIA,

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

egoldber
10-02-2003, 01:56 PM
If she can move around the crib, personally, I'd move the mattress down. You never know when she's going to decide to start pulling up.

s7714
10-02-2003, 03:56 PM
My DD's doing the exact same thing right now, although she's starting to be able to tripod sit for a few seconds at a time (but she hasn't figured out how to get into that position without help just yet).

I'm 5'4", so I've been trying to leave the matress high as long as I can too, but I think I'm going to have to go ahead and drop it down. It seems like everyday she's lifting herself up higher and higher, so I don't want to discover by accident that she's figured out how to pull herself up by grabbing onto the top of the crib!

As far as the mobile, they always say that they must be taken down as soon as the baby can sit up, so that's what I was planning to do. (Now if I can just figure out a place to hang it after I take it off the crib!)

Jennifer

Annalia 03/03/03

Hannaheser
10-04-2003, 04:10 PM
Hi Jeannie- My baby Maya is now 10 months old, and I'm 4'11", so I know from whence you come! :) , and I only JUST moved Maya's mattress down 1 notch, we still have the mobile, as Maya is used to it and it's part of her nap routine. The sides of her crib are arched, though, so the mobile is higher than it sounds like yours is, Maya can't reach unless she stands. Maya only pulled up to knees yesterday, which is why we lowered the mattress.

I would say, since Kiki can reach the mobile that you either need to lower the mattress or ditch the mobile, as you guessed. Sorry! I've heard a lot of people say their babies liked that Fisher Price aquarium toy, so you could try a switcheroo, instead of the mobile maybe? If you really want to keep they mobile, I would lower the mattress if I were you, so she doesn't clobber herself with the mobile one fine day.

HTH!

kransden
10-06-2003, 08:49 PM
DD loves her Tiny Love Mobile too. I attached it to the changing station. She loves to turn it on and off during the diaper change. BTW the mobile isn't over her It is turned outside but she can still see it.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

MartiesMom2B
10-06-2003, 09:48 PM
Jeannie:

I noticed Martie pulling on the monkey of the Tiny Love mobile so I removed it. Her crib just doesn't look the same. I've removed her bumper too so it really looks bare. :(

I was just afraid of the mobile coming down on her so its now in my trunk for a friend who is borrowing it.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

mattiew
10-07-2003, 09:32 AM
I'm 5'3 also and chose to drop the mattress as low as it would go (you would think lowering a mattress would be simple but it isn't so we decided we only wanted to do it once). My DD was able to enjoy a little more time w/her Tiny Love once the mattress was down; now that she is 10 months old I still have the music box portion on the crib and she loves to push the buttons on it.

Good Luck!
Carrie

KMommie
10-10-2003, 01:45 AM
Thanks! We moved the crib mattress all the way down. You're right, I didn't realize what a project it was to move the mattress! We've kept the mobile up, since she can't reach it any more. When she starts pulling up I'll have to figure out a way to attach it to the dresser where her changing pad is. What a great idea!

I'm having trouble with the push-drop to move the crib side up and down, so we've been keeping it down. It seems to be high enough, for now.

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03