PDA

View Full Version : Anchoring large furniture to the wall...

Kayla
10-08-2003, 08:52 PM
I assume this is something that we should/need to do, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Our baker's rack came with a small strap and screw or nail from Ikea for this purpose, but as we did not need it at the time, I never used it, and have no idea where it went.

We also have several large wooden bookshelves that I assume should be anchored. Anyone know what to do? Thanks!

mattiew
10-09-2003, 10:14 AM
I've seen kits at Babies R Us and Lowes. We need to do it too but I haven't bought one to try yet.

Carrie

lisams
10-09-2003, 01:04 PM
I'm not sure about the baker's rack, but we got some anchor kits at Babies R Us for the bookshelves and entertainment center. It came with instructions.

etwahl
10-09-2003, 03:18 PM
one step ahead has these - in addition to all sorts of babyproofing stuff.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

mamahill
10-09-2003, 03:32 PM
We just bought brackets and drywall anchors/screws at Home Depot and a local hardware store. You'll need an electric screwdriver and maybe a drill. You don't need the drywall anchors if you're drilling into a stud, but for us to do that, we'd have to rearrange our furniture. We went with just basic stuff since it seems to be less expensive than buying the stuff that is advertized as "baby proof." (not that safety is a question of money, but I tend to shy away from "baby" labeled things if the originals serve the same purpose)

kaitlinsmommy
10-10-2003, 12:50 AM
I just ordered these from One Step Ahead but haven't installed them yet.

etwahl
10-10-2003, 08:25 PM
sarah, what kind of anchors? do they require the furniture to be right up against the wall, or is there room for the baseboard, etc.? i agree, if there's a cheaper/easier solution (not necesarilly entitled baby) then i'm all for it. anything titled baby or wedding adds quite the premium i believe :)

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

mom2kandj
10-11-2003, 12:01 AM
Metal L brackets with two or three holes on each side work well as long as you don't mind screwing directly into the top of your furniture. These work best with bookcases, but we have used them on DD's tallish 6 drawer dresser. HTH!

Rose
mom 2 katie (33 months)
& Jack (16 months)

mamahill
10-15-2003, 11:21 AM
Sorry Tammy - I've been away. But wanted to say that I used the L-brackets as well. Our bookshelves have cutouts at the bottom so they are flush against the wall, even with baseboards (does that make sense), but I'm sure they'd still work well even if the furniture was an inch away from the wall. And yes, I had to drill into the top of my furniture, but I figure nobody's looking up there! Go into a hardware store and ask a particularly handy-looking man. I find they especially like to help women/mothers who come in with a mind to home-improvement:). And a cute baby certainly helps! There are a couple guys at our Home Depot who recognize us when we walk in. I love it!

zen_bliss
10-18-2003, 11:40 PM
the metal L brackets come in a variety of sizes and they are about 50 cents, cheaper & sturdier than stuff that's marketed for babyproofing. these brackets were one of my happiest discoveries when i used em to reinforce a set of drawers and salvage a desk! now babyproofing! i found even the small ones are long enough that they can span the gap if you have baseboards. i've only done the etagere in the bathroom as a warmup but i am pleased with how sturdy it is! i hadn't thought to go from the top, doh! i did it *inside* the underside of the top shelf inside the cabinet -- of course i have to make it harder than it needs to be :P