PDA

View Full Version : how do i keep the cats out of the crib???

JenaW
11-18-2003, 11:01 PM
For some reason, this has not been a problem until now, but one of our cats is obsessed with the crib, especially if Carter is in it. Short of keeping his bedroom door closed (which we are doing, but his room is freezing, and really needs th circulation) or a tent, what do I do. I jokingly told DH we might need to install a screen door on his bedroom. HELP!!!

Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03

amp
11-19-2003, 10:27 AM
There is such a thing as a mesh type tent that goes over the top of the crib to help keep out cats. I usually recommend people don't buy one until they see if their cats will show any interest in the crib, but since yours has, you might want to check one out. Here's just one from Amazon/BRU....

http://tinyurl.com/vo9t

I've never needed one, so I can't vouch for it, but I knew such a thing existed, so thought I'd mention it.

Zansu
11-19-2003, 06:12 PM
One thing to try, although I recommend doing this when DS in NOT in the crib :) , is to put doubled-over strips of packing tape onto paper, and put it tape side up in the crib.

After one episode of jumping into a crib and getting stuck to paper in multiple places, your cat probably won't go near the crib for quite some time.

If you need to reinforce the idea, put a piece of the paper on the outside of the crib, close to wherever the cat starts his/her crib entry jump.

HTH

JenaW
11-19-2003, 09:39 PM
oh, that's a good idea. But, does it hurt to pull the tape off their paws afterwards? I bet this would work. Thanks.

Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03

KMommie
11-20-2003, 02:14 AM
We used a similar method to keep our cat off the kitchen counters. We bought "Sticky Paws" at the pet store, which is basically wide double stick tape. It didn't stick to Holly cat's paws at all, and it only took a couple of weeks and she was trained.

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

Zansu
11-20-2003, 10:15 AM
It's never a problem getting it off the paws. If they get it stuck to their fur, then it can be a little more work. But since it only has to happen once to be effective, I think it's a good trade off.

amp
11-20-2003, 10:43 AM
Well, actually, if you're looking for these types of solutions, before DS came, when the cats did show interest in the crib (they don't now that he's here and after we tried this) and the bassinet and the changing table pad, we put aluminum foil on them. It only took one or two tries and they never wanted to get in there again. Cheap, easy and you don't have to pull it off their paws!

JenaW
11-20-2003, 07:37 PM
you just put sheets of the foil in there? That sounds easy enough. I am off to the crib rigt now. Of course, now the cat probbaly won't go near it just because!

Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03

amp
11-20-2003, 08:18 PM
Yep, we pulled off just enough to fit in there. Later that evening the cat jumped in and we heard a ruckus. He tried it one more time and that was the end of it. The other cat tried the bassinet a few times. We could tell cuz the foil was messed up, but he gave that up after just a few tries. Good luck!