PDA

View Full Version : Question about the baby fence...

Denyse
11-22-2003, 12:49 PM
Does anyone know what I'm talking about? It's a long fence like structure that can be rounded together into a pen or stretched out in front of something. Does anyone know of any place besides TRU that sells them? I found it online for $60. Does that sound like a good price. I'm baby proofing quickly now b/c my little man is moving too fast! :) Tia !

lrg
12-16-2003, 04:59 PM
I was actually wondering about these fences,too. Would like to use one to put my baby in a large safe area with toys, encircled by the fence. But I wonder if they can push it down, or how other parents feel about them. Do the babies eventually figure out there is a bigger world with which to find danger and are not content confined to the one area?

I've seen one somewhere that is brightly colored with toy-like objects attached to the interior and looks like the kids might enjoy it more than a plain fence. But, I'd like to hear more feedback on any of them.

momma_boo
12-16-2003, 05:19 PM
We just purchased a Superyard XT at BuyBuyBaby. It was $60, which seems to be the normal price. I also found it online: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004RA66/103-7627564-9587022?v=glance

We partially opened it and put it around our birdcage. (Think larger than a subzero fridge, not a small one sitting on a table).

If you haven't gotten one yet, they also had them at the ZanyBrainy/Right Start store where everything is currently 20% off.

s7714
12-16-2003, 10:47 PM
I have the Superyard XT too, and love it. It works great as a big play pen. It isn't really stable when stretched out though. We're actually looking for a more stable fence that can go across our great room to block off the kitchen (not really any way gates can be put anywhere).

Jennifer

Annalia 03/03/03

sbaker
12-17-2003, 07:12 PM
Actually, we used the Superyard with several extension panels as a "great room" fence. It works well as long as you don't put it in a perfectly straight line.
This is not a very good picture, but I think you will understand what I mean. This is about a 25' span. Not the most attractive fence, but it works.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/1657.jpg
Just my two cents...
:) :+ :)
Sara
Mom to Rayce 02/09/02
Baby #2 due 01/05/04

alaskadiver
12-19-2003, 12:38 AM
Jennifer:

I have the superyard with extensions that I use both as a pen and as a fence.

If you want it to run across a long stretch of open floor you will need to form it into a zig-zag shape to make it stable. Otherwise it will tip over too easily when the kid stands up and leans on it.

In Sara's picture she at least has a beam and a stretch of wall to lean it against.

If you want a fence that will cross 25' in a straight line and be stable you will probably not find such an item. The only way to build such a fence would be to mount it permanently to the floor with big metal angle brackets acting as fence posts. That's probably NOT what you have in mind!

Oh, and I haven't found any way to purchase this fence for cheaper than the $59 they sell it for at Toys R Us. Online web sites have it but then you have to pay shipping and it is an oversized item so places like amazon.com (which is the online portal for Toys R Us) adds $10 supping surcharge.

stillplayswithbarbies
01-05-2004, 04:10 PM
KMart had it for $10 less than TRU, but the extensions were much cheaper at TRU ($19.99 versus $34.99)

We have it and love it. It was great to take to grandma's house too and not worry about babyproofing there. We call it the "baby corral".

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03