PDA

View Full Version : How about this for a fireplace?

tomz
11-29-2003, 10:32 PM
Anyone try this with their fireplace? I hear alot about the Kidco HearthGate but this is cheaper and looks like it could work.

Anyone try this out yet?

http://baby-safety-products.babycatalog.com/baby-safety-fireplace/heritage-fire-guard-146007

Thanks

T

MartiesMom2B
12-16-2003, 01:34 PM
I've been wondering the same thing.

Any feedback would be great!

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

MartiesMom2B
12-17-2003, 01:24 PM
I've decided to go ahead and order this, because it looks smaller than then the Hearthgate and won't take up as much of my small living room. I'll post a review as soon as I get it!

Sonia

mharling
12-28-2003, 03:30 PM
Sonia -
What do you think about this?

Also, what is your fireplace like? On ours, the fireplace itself is near the ground and there's just a piece of marble between it and the floor. I wondered if we could even just get by with something to keep the glass doors closed and keep the tools in the garage. We don't have a lot of fires so I think the nuisance would be minimal. What do you think?

http://www.auction-pix.com/katasha/stuff/snowman.gif Mary & Lane 4/6/03

sntm
12-31-2003, 01:25 AM
i wanna say there was something like this in the plow and hearth catalog (that keeps the doors closed). tossed it though, so can't be sure.
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

MartiesMom2B
12-31-2003, 08:55 AM
Overall, I'm satisfied by this product. The hearthgate would just take up too much living room space, this is more compact. We only have a screen on our gas fireplace so we needed a gate, but I think even if I had doors, I'd still get a gate because the glass doors can heat up quickly.

This is very easy to assemble, you just fold it out and screw the pieces together. You will have to buy eyehooks to attach it to the wall, if you'd like it to be attached. Ours isn't right now and it works fine.

The only problem with this is that it is kind of difficult to lift up the top panels as it was advertised. The doors clip in and its hard to declip it. However I think you could get away with not clipping it together and just letting it rest.

The gate can get a little hot, in which you have to turn the fire down (we usually have it at the highest). I'm trying to teach Martie to not touch the gate in general just in case though.

If you have a smaller living room space I would recommend this.

Sonia

cara1
01-01-2004, 11:35 PM
I also don't want to block off the entire firplace, I just want to prevent DS from opening the sliding glass doors. Anyone try this? http://www.totsafe.com/proddetail.asp?prod=2135
Here it is again a bit cheaper:
http://www.kidsurplus.com/bdi700.html

Melanie
01-10-2004, 04:32 AM
I just wanted to make sure you don't plan on lighting a fire in it. Another mom here had her baby's hands burned by touching the glass for just a second (before she was pulled away). I think they thought the glass didn't get THAT hot.

Sorry I can't help with the product, though. We've got the big hearth gate and love it. We were worried about Ds falling against the bricks, so we opted for the big one.

MartiesMom2B
01-15-2004, 07:57 PM
Melanie makes an excellent point. I thought I said something about that earlier, but I didn't. My nephew also burned his hands on a gas fireplace that was surrounded by glass.

Sonia

cchavez
01-15-2004, 09:19 PM
Mary, we have a fire place like yours. The baby proofer is coming out in a few weeks to do our stairs and he had an idea about our fireplace. I will post it if we decide to use it and it works for us. Thanks.

cara1
01-17-2004, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the tip. I hadn't thought of that, but no, we weren't planning on making a fire. Something about DH insisting he doesn't want to add to the air pollution... :)

wilelm
01-23-2004, 08:57 PM
I just got one--delivered yesterday. I'm really happy with it. It does the job without being too big (I have a very small living room) or ugly (although, as one friend put it, it looks like the fireplace is in a cage). I would recommend it.

Sheila
Mother of Miriam, 03/10/03

momtoB
11-16-2004, 03:37 PM
I have been searching for a fireplace screen and was interested in this one, unfortunately the link the the OP posted is now dead. Does anyone know where I could find one of these? I did a google on "heritage fire guard" and got several results back, but none of them were good. Like the others here posted, my living room is small so the kidco gate would take up too much space. We have a gas fireplace with a glass front and we never burn it any more for fear of ds burning himself on it. I would like to use it this winter but unless I find something to put over it so I can at least keep ds from touching the glass, I guess we'll just have to keep it turned off until he's old enough to be trusted not to touch it when it's hot.

TIA,
Cheryl

CiderLogan
12-02-2004, 01:33 PM
The link didn't work for me, but I just wanted to say that we got glass doors for our fireplace and use a cabinet lock on the handles to keep DD out. For the hearth (is that the brick or stone part on the floor?) we made a structure out of wood that's the same size as the hearth and covered it with foam and then with fabric (stuck into the wood using a staple gun), and we just remove the fabric/wood cover and open the doors whenever we light a fire (which is rare because it can only be at night after DD is asleep!).

Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03

iamginaw
12-04-2004, 09:09 PM
I found it! Go here: http://www.babypro.com/specialty.html and check the bottom of the page. HTH!

momtoB
12-16-2004, 10:38 PM
The link did work for me - Thanks! That page shows a menu at the bottom, when you click on fireplace safety it should take you here: http://www.babypro.com/specialty.html#Fireplace

I think this would work for me but they show two pictures - one has a curved top and one has a flat top (the pp who said the fireplace looks like it's in a cage is right, LOL). The price list really doesn't offer a very good description. Is the top picture "Bronze" finish (it looks black to me, but the pic isn't the highest quality) and the bottom one with the curved top is obviously black. I wonder why black is more expensive also. Hmmm. I guess I will have to contact the company to get clarification on that.

Anyway, thanks again. I googled all over and couldn't find this thing! :-)

rfeibelm
12-19-2004, 11:30 AM
I would love some info from someone who has used this product or this company. I am trying to babyproof my fireplace now (I have a gas fireplace with only a screen and a 1/2" marble hearth), so I think this product would be a good option for me. And I'm just outside of Atlanta too!

Jennamax
12-23-2004, 11:53 AM
We have a fireplace with glass doors, so we just put a door lock on them. We rarely use the fireplace, so safety with a fire burning wasn't our issue. Our problem was that once DS learned how to crawl he was forever trying to open the doors and stick his hands in the fireplace.