PDA

View Full Version : Need recs on good top-of-stairs gate!

Michele714
12-03-2003, 11:02 AM
I need something sturdy and safe, but easy to open and close with baby in your arms. I'm willing to nail into the walls that are on either side (no bannisters). What are some good ones that I can get at Babies R Us or online somewhere? Thanks.

Momof3Labs
12-03-2003, 11:42 AM
This is what we have, it is rated very highly and has worked very well for us!

http://baby-safety-products.babycatalog.com/safety-gates-and-rails-banisters/wood-safeway-gate-07310

alaskadiver
12-04-2003, 09:40 AM
Michelle:

This one is designed to be opened with no hands and is available at ToysRUs.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000058CC7

It fits by compression. You don't need to mount it permanently to the wall. It works well for us but then we have a 1-story house with no stairs so I only use it to keep the kid from fleeing. Not so much for safety.

I would think that for a gate at the top of a stairs you'd really want to get the best one that you are positive will never open accidently or push out of position. My 8 month old daughter pulls her self up to a standing position and leans on everything. If we had a stairs I have no doubt that she'd be standing at the top of the stairs leaning on and shaking the gate. So I would make DAMN sure it was not ever going to come open or push out of position.

Momof3Labs
12-04-2003, 03:32 PM
This is a nice gate, we have two of them, but they are NOT suitable for use at the top of the stairs. Pressure mounted gates should not be used at the top of the stairs; only wall-mounted gates should be used for exactly the reasons that you mention.

I think that this is what you meant in your post, I just wanted to make sure that no one misread anything!

s7714
12-05-2003, 01:56 AM
We bought the Evenflo Safe & Secure gates for the top and bottom of our stairs. I was a little unsure because of the price (they're only about $38), but they seem to be a pretty sturdy little gate. I looked at the ones available at my local Toys R Us, and even the more expensive wood models seemed to be about the same for stability. We also had a physical limitation on the gate height because of the way our railing/banisters are, and this was one of the few hardware mounted gates I could find that was short enough vertically.

Jennifer

Annalia 03/03/03

alaskadiver
12-09-2003, 12:51 PM
Lori:

That's exactly what I meant. If I was putting a compression-fit gate on the top of a stairs, I would figure out some way to secure it more permanently. Either screw it directly to the wall anyway, or mount some sort of brace on the wall to prevent the gate from sliding out of position.

The better option is probably to go with one that can be screwed directly into the wall so that it is never going to move.

Thinking about it, if you have kids and stairs, there's NEVER going to be a time when you don't want a gate at the top of the stairs. NEVER. So there's no reason not to mount it permanently and leave it there until the youngest kid hits school age.

On the other hand, in a one-story house like mine, I might want to put the gate in the kitchen one day and in the office the next day depending on what I was doing and where I was working that day.

lisams
12-09-2003, 03:00 PM
We have that one but it is metal painted white. I love it, and it is very secure. It's pretty easy to open - probably as easy as you'll get while still being safe.

Lisa

sntm
12-09-2003, 04:29 PM
We haven't installed ours yet, but DH researched them after an experience installing our neighbors' gates and chose the kidco one as the best for top of the stairs. it comes in a slightly cheaper non-wood version also.

edited to add:
we got ours from babycenter which at the time was cheaper even with the 10% off at babycatalog.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

egoldber
12-09-2003, 10:41 PM
We have that same gate in white for the top of our stairs. It works well and is easy to open even when holding a 30 pound toddler. :)

spu
12-15-2003, 09:58 AM
I just bought the First Years white metal gate. I haven't installed it yet because on the packaging, it says from 6 mos to 24 mos... does that mean it's going to be too easy for the child to figure out? My babies will be 24 mos this summer... It has a lock mechanism that you push and turn and seems pretty easy to me...How does the kidco gate lock? Does it have an age range too?

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte + else

http://sunger2.home.comcast.net/bash/nonflash/year.html

egoldber
12-15-2003, 04:08 PM
You need to work two mechanisms on the gate to open it, which you have to do both at the same time (sounds complicated but is easy). I don't think a toddler's hand is big enough to do this.

But the truth is that your average gate is no match for a determined toddler. The gate is mainly to keep a kid running full tilt without looking from taking a header down the steps.

HTH,