PDA

View Full Version : Looking for motivation...

lizamann
01-11-2004, 03:18 AM
Someone please kick me in the butt. I haven't done anything in the way of babyproofing, and time is running out. If you saw our place, you would understand what a monumental task it is. And it's all DH's crap that is the problem, but his unhelpful suggestion is to keep dd in her room all the time!

DH is into antique junk (think Sanford and Son crossed with Restoration Hardware), so we have things like old space heaters with cloth cords (just as "decor," never used), fans with spaces big enough for my fist, wires for computers, stereos, and home theater systems running everywhere, speakers balanced precariously on pedestals, unstable tables that the cats have knocked over, amplifiers with exposed vacuum tubes, a bazillion windows without guards (16th floor!), the list goes on and on.

I want to throw out 95% of our crap and move to a brand new spartan ranch in the suburbs, but that is a bit drastic, not to mention the divorce that would ensue.

I am seriously considering hiring a service to do it all since it makes me want to cry. How much would that cost? Alternatively, tell me it's not that bad and to just get on it. But DH really is resistant and stubborn about all his crap and he has a philosophical opposition to always bowing to the baby.

Help!

JLiebCamm
01-11-2004, 11:36 PM
Yikes! It sounds like you have a monumental task ahead of you. I have alot of breakables in my house and wasn't sure where to start with babyproofing, so I just monitored my DS VERY closely and addressed each potential problem as it came up. But if your husband is that resistant to change, he might listen more to a hired professional than you, so it might not be a bad idea to pay someone. Good luck!

Jessica
Mom to Nathan 12-20-02

Momof3Labs
01-12-2004, 12:23 AM
Beth, how about this? I'll bring Colin over for an hour, and he can SHOW your DH how much baby proofing he has to do! LOL!

egoldber
01-12-2004, 12:31 AM
We always think alike Lori. I was thinking that just letting the little one "accidentally" break one of daddy's treasures might be the kick start that he needs!