PDA

View Full Version : Baby gates-bottom of stairs/top of stairs

bina
08-29-2004, 07:08 PM
Hi, I need some assistance with baby gates at a relative's house. At the bottom of the stairs, there is a post, but the banister wraps around it with the railing. So basically, it looks like the following picture from the kidco site with the same thing on the other side, except that the banister does not wrap around, it just ends with the post (totally round). I don't think we can attach a kidco gate to the railing on each side on the first step. Is there some way to maybe attach a piece of wood to two of the railing posts, and attach the gate to the piece of wood? (There are two railing posts on each step).

http://www.kidco.com/gate_dis.cfm?Gate_ID=g11

Also, at the top of the stairs, there is a wall on both sides, but putting at gate on the wall would mean that there would be a gap on the first step. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of drilling a 3 inch piece of wood into the wall to avoid the 3 inch gap. Sorry for the imprecise terminology-I'm just not sure how to describe the area. Thanks in advance!

pixelprincess
08-30-2004, 04:33 PM
hi bina, we have a bit of a different situation but did attach wood on two sides of the fireplace gate. It is also a kidco gate and i can try to take some pics for you to see. otherwise we would have needed another extension which would have created an awkward shape too. you could probably do attach the wood on the inner or wall side.

maybe someone else can give you a gate suggestion that might fit.

mbutler
08-31-2004, 02:52 AM
I assume that you are already aware of Kidco's gate accessory http://www.kidco.com/pdfs/K10.pdf and that will not work for you?

bina
09-15-2004, 11:10 AM
Sorry, these accessories won't work at the top. At the top of stairs, the problem is that on one side, if you look at the picture on kidco's page 2, the end of the wall is between where the gate is and the edge of the first step! So, there would be a bit of a gap on the stair on one side.

At the bottom of the stairs, we could use 2 wood bannister installation kits, one on each side.