PDA

View Full Version : How do we childproof 2nd floor Casement Windows

MaryM
09-29-2004, 02:47 AM
Anybody know where I can purchase window safety guards for casement windows, or other childproofing device? (they crank open like a book) All our upstairs windows are casements, and I feel frustrated that I know about the need for safety, and yet I can't find any products anywhere for this type of window. A babyproofer company came in for a free consultation, and said we could only order them through him. Regarding children's safety, I just find that hard to believe a product could be so hard to locate. Any direction someone can offer me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
MaryM

nupe
09-29-2004, 12:43 PM
I'm curious too--the only thing I can think of is to remove the crank.

Momof3Labs
09-29-2004, 03:04 PM
What about them do you want to childproof? I can't imagine that an infant or toddler could get them open (an older child obviously could) - especially if you remove the crank. Are you trying to put up a barrier so that the child can't fall out of the window?

MaryM
09-30-2004, 01:40 AM
Yes - a barrier to avoid falls out the window is what I'm looking for. It's been documented quite regularly on the news (at least around Chicagoland), about the regular number of falls out of windows, expecially in the summer months, but any time of year is possible.
According to hospital statistics, the majority of falls are not fatal, however, the extent of injuries are typically serious and life-changing. I've read multiple recommendations for childproofing now mention installing window guards. However, I only hear of them for the traditional double hung windows, and not for casement windows. I've also sent a note to Pella Mfg., assuming they'd have some answers, and haven't heard anything yet. The need for window childproofing is evident; however, the awareness of the issue is relatively new. Older building codes allowed placement of windows higher up on the walls, which we once had. But new codes require placement that's too easily accessible to a child who is climing or jumping, even when furniture is smartly located. Kids do move furniture, and do climb....even with the absolute best parents, and sitters.