PDA

View Full Version : Stairs of Death!!!

laurelp73
03-16-2007, 03:36 PM
Hello, experienced mommies!

I am desparate to find a gate that will mount securely to the top & bottom of my metal spiral stairs. I strongly prefer wood or metal (don't like plastic or plastic coated gates), but I just want my son to be safe if he wakes up in the middle of the night & goes looking for us. Please help!!!

Thank you so much!

Laurel (Mom to Wes - born 1/1/05)

NewMom04
04-15-2007, 11:19 PM
If you haven't found one yet (since it's been awhile since your post) I have one suggestion. I don't know if it's been posted already, you can do a search, but we use a wooden gate made by Kidco that mounts to the wall at the top of my stairs. I'm sorry I can't remember the model #, but I believe they carry various models. It's very sturdy and easy to operate. I don't know if you have a wall to mount it to since I don't know much about spiral staircases.

For the time being, you can make your own gate to put at the bottom of your stairs. Find a strong cardboard piece taken from any huge appliance or a TV. Measure it so it covers the opening of your stairs and then some. Make 2 holes at the top of each side near the corner and thread a strong nylon cord through (preferably one with a plastic toggle like the ones in coats that allow you to cinch the waist tighter.)The cord should be long enough to hook around the top of the banister so that you can tighten it. Tie a knot to plug one hole and the toggle goes on the other hole. On the bottom 2 corners, buy and stick 2 sets of long patches of velcro (you can buy them at hardware store). Stick one side (fuzzy) of the velcros on the base of the banister and stick the other side [prickly] on the exact opposite side on the cardboard. When you're done, the end product should look like a square/rectangular cardboard with 2 loops at the top ends that can hook onto the top banisters and 2 velcro patches at the bottom corners that stick to the bottom banister base but are hidden when in use. It's pretty secure. My son is 3 and my daughter is 1 and they can't yank it off. We've used it for 2 yrs. and only last week is the velcro on one side starting to come off a bit. I hope this is clear and HTH.

Annie

DrSally
04-17-2007, 11:48 AM
I just saw this post. Thanks for the idea for a do-it-yourself bottom gate. We have the kidco gate for the top of stairs (safeway I believe), but we have a wall on one side and a "flat" bannister on the other. For the bottom, we have a wall and a spindle bannister. I have only seen one gate with a spindle attachment. I think that was a kidco as well.
http://www.amazon.com/KidCo-Y-Spindle-2-Pack/dp/B000GEAKNM/ref=acc_glance_baby_ai_2_title/103-3732817-6531061

However, I don't think it would be great for a bottom of stair gate b/c it is walk-through, so you could trip over the bottom portion.