PDA

View Full Version : But which products

robinsonbn
04-09-2007, 12:16 PM
I have recieved aton of help from my previous post about baby proofing. Now I know what to buy....I just need to know what brands. Gina let me know a few bad gates lol but what good ones? It needs to be walk through we will need a top of stairs and bottom of stairs one...I am sucuring the Cabinets with harmful materials so we don't have to block the kitchen. Also, does anyone have one of those large curcular ones? I would like it to fold up easily if we do get one. When it comes to cabinet locks...what are the best. I know the magnet ones were mentioned but I want to make sure they are strong. I think I will forgo the furniture bumpers. Our furniture has rounded adges so I hope that will be ok. Then for door handles I like the look of the lever door lock anyone have them? Any other suggestions are welcome. :)

jgriffin
04-12-2007, 01:42 PM
DH and my dad installed some safety latches in the kitchen and wetbar area. I had bought a bunch of TotLoks at Home Depot, so mainly they used those. They are screwed into the wood, and so far appear to be holding up very well. I really like these because they have a way to disable the lock temporarily (eg when E goes to bed we keep the cabinet under the sink un-childproofed). And without the magnetic key they are impossible to open. The lock itself isn't magnetic (it is just a latch), but you use a magnet to unlock it.

The other kind were the latches where you have to push down on the latch while opening the drawer/cabinet. I forget what brand they are, but I got them from OneStepAhead. I'm less impressed with these. My FIL's gf managed to break one while opening a drawer, just by tugging on the drawer hard enough. While I don't think E would have enough strength to break one himself yet, I wouldn't put it past him in a year or two. Plus, there are similar ones at daycare that he is already starting to figure out how to operate.

HTH!

Jen

eta: they're called TotLoks, not MagLocks. Sorry!

robinsonbn
04-13-2007, 06:20 PM
Thanks. I really like those TOT Locks. I plan on getting a few of those to lock up the really dangerous stuff. Also the breakables ect. I was thinking normal latches for the others, it is hard to find ones that you knwo will be secure. I just have to decide on gates. I need one for the top and bottom of the stairs so I don't want pressure mounted which seems to be harder then i thought to find lol. Anyway, thanks a bunch