PDA

View Full Version : Ebay positive and negatives?

maura
02-03-2002, 04:43 PM
Hi:

My husband and I just started looking around the Ebay website for the first time last night. There seems like there are some great baby bargains (example - a brand new in the box factory sealed 2002 Medela Pump In Style for 75 off retail price), but the whole concept makes me a little nervous. Just wondering if anyone had any Ebay advice for someone new to that website - what to be careful of - how to know who is real and who is not. How do they sell some of those things so cheap?

Just want to hear the good and the bad before we go down this road....

:-)

Maura

suzska
02-04-2002, 01:19 AM
I'm sure there are other people that can help you out better than I can, but I figured I'd give you my experience. I haven't bought anything on eBay in about a year--not because I had a bad experience, but just because I lost my job when my son was 3-months-old, so I don't have the extra cash to spend on things now. :-) I didn't buy many baby-related things (more like collectible porcelain quilt tiles), but I did purchase my son's crib set (bumper pads, dust ruffle, etc.) from eBay. It was a discontinued Boynton pattern that I had wanted for years, so when I found it on eBay I jumped at it, and we weren't even pg, or trying, yet. It was used, but in pretty good condition, and I got it for about 1/3 the original price. The first time you bid, and win, can be pretty scary since you don't know whether to trust the people on the other end. Always check out the feedback on the seller--especially the ones we're they're the seller and not the buyer--and just the number of feedbacks. Once I bought the first thing that a woman had ever listed for auction (some quilt blocks), so that was a little scary, but they were really nice, and the transaction went smoothly, and I ended up bidding on and winning some more of her stuff (I was glad I gave her a chance). Most of the time I paid by PayPal or Money Order when they didn't take PayPal (I never liked having to wait for my check to clear). I can't answer how they can sell the stuff so cheap sometimes, since I don't have any experience with those sorts of baby items. The site has changed a lot since I used it--they now have all these "express checkout" type things or something. Unfortunately the whole experience does require a little "leap of faith."

--Sue B.
SAHM to Evan Jeffrey 03-11-01

KathyO
02-04-2002, 12:20 PM
It depends on what you're buying. One scam that's getting a lot of press these days is to buy up cheap/stale-dated baby formula, relabel it as a more expensive brand, and sell it on sites like Ebay. Do not buy formula in this way.

However, lots of other things are lower risk and more reliable, and I see people who sell used items trying very hard to make sure you are aware of the smallest scuffs or stains on the items in question. By and large I think you're okay as long as you keep your eyes open.

KathyO

NewTexasMom
03-13-2002, 06:03 PM
I'm not sure that Medela would honor their 1-year warranty on the motor if you don't purchase the Pump in Style from an authorized dealer.

emmiem
03-14-2002, 12:15 PM
You need to know your stuff before bidding on items on Ebay. They are always selling fake Prada bags, Kate Spade bags that were made for the outlet stores but priced as regular department store stock, and clothes from Gymboree and Gap that is more expensive than in the stores currently. Recently, someone was selling a spring outfit for $46 but the outfit is available at Gymboree for $30. I know because I bought the one at the store. There is a lot of things listed as NWOT because of that. The manager at Gymboree said she has several people who buy on clearance to sell it straight on Ebay.

nigele
03-14-2002, 04:14 PM
Although there are some scams out there, there are also legitimate stores which sell overstocked or clearance items on eBay. As "suzska" suggested, always check the seller's feedback before bidding on anything. (Whenever a transaction takes place on eBay, the buyer of an item can leave feedback on the seller, which goes on his permanent record. Checking the feedback can give you a good idea of whether or not the seller is trustworthy.) Also, you can always e-mail the seller of an item with any questions you have. I have used eBay many times and the only scary thing I've come across is how addicting it can be!

suzska
03-15-2002, 12:23 AM
LOL!! True, true, it can be addicting. Lucky (?) for me I was laid off at the end of my maternity leave and have no more "disposable" income. ;-) Ah, that rush I use to get when outbidding someone seconds before the auction ended....

--Sue B.
SAHM to Evan Jeffrey 03-11-01

brendasuewilson
03-18-2002, 12:06 PM
We just bought our nursery border off E-Bay. I looked everywhere for something that would match our dicontinued baby bedding and only found it on E-Bay - and for only 7.99 a roll!!! What a bargain! Once again, always check the seller's feedback, but if it's something you really want or need and you can't find it anywhere else cheaper, I say "Go for it"!

Good Luck!

Brenda

andimorony
03-29-2002, 09:33 AM
I have bought many things on Ebay, you can bet that I examine the write ups and the pix VERY carefully. I have only been really bummed about one purchase (some clothes for me that I wasnt as detail oriented about) and I have bought tons of stuff. I am currently looking for the stuff in the book on Ebay....love that NWT bargain!
HTH
Andi