PDA

View Full Version : building your own baby website

zoethebeagle
02-10-2002, 10:44 PM
Has anyone built a website for their baby? I am sick of emailing a million digital picture attachments all of the time and I'd like to make my daughter her own website that people can just visit. I need it to be easy to do (I'm not so computer saavy) and I'd like to be able to post alot of pictures and text. I also would like to be able to make updates easily and frequently? No advertisements on the site is also a must.

Someone suggested Yahoo GeoCities.

Any suggestions?

suzska
02-11-2002, 04:05 PM
What I've ended up doing is just loading my pictures into Yahoo Pictures. I just put captions with each of the pictures. I tried GeoCities, but I think you could only put 4 pictures on a page (I could be wrong)--when I tried it, it was tiresome.

When I have my photos developed, I just get them on CD, then I use the Upload Tool for multiple pictures at Yahoo Photos (FYI, the Upload Tool doesn't appear to work with Windows XP, but Yahoo ignored me when I mentioned something about it--they said, "Your account looks fine." Well, duh, it's not a problem with my account, it's a problem with your software. Anyway, I use my DH's computer that doesn't have XP on it.) I also create a new folder for each roll of film. You can do updates whenever you want, and they give you 30 megs of free space--my son is now 11 months old, and I've used about 1/4 of that, so there's plenty of room for plenty of pictures. I have a new roll every month or two.

Are there advertisements? I don't know, I've just learned to ignore those things. You can also restrict the viewing to certain e-mail addresses, or leave them all available to the public.

There are other sites that I know other people have used, but I can't remember what they are right now, or know how easy they are to use.

P.S. To use the Yahoo stuff, you will need a Yahoo ID if you don't have one. But they're free and easy enough to set up. The people looking at the photos won't need one.

--Sue B.
SAHM to Evan Jeffrey 03-11-01

jra
02-11-2002, 05:21 PM
I don't know what you are using for internet access, but I use a local ISP and each user is given so much space (can't remember off the top of my head) to use for their own personal webpage. My ISP gave me instructions that are very easy to follow and I am able to update whenever I feel like it. Also, there are absolutely NO advertisements this way (unless I put them there!)

Jennifer

egoldber
02-11-2002, 09:44 PM
We also use Yahoo Photos. Another nice thing about this is that if the grandparents, etc. want to have prints made they can do it directly from the website. A 4x6 print is $.49 and $1.49 shipping&handling for up to 10 photos. I think it's quite a deal.

If you want to provide detailed text and descriptions (your birth story, etc.) then Yahoo Geocities is probably the way to go. The suggestion about seeing if your ISP provides website space is a good one. If you have a cable modem or DSL they almostly certainly do.

HTH,

california
02-27-2002, 10:09 PM
www.ownspot.com

You can make a website and it's $9.95 a month.
There are no advertisements on your website. And the website designs are really cute (check in the Casual Category).