PDA

View Full Version : ordering online from Canada

sidney
05-16-2002, 06:50 PM
I just ordered a Dutailer glider from Baby Furniture Outlet which actually switches over to The Rocking Chair Outlet. Anyway, I have been emailing them back and forth over the last few days and they have been very helpful. When I finally placed my order, they asked for my Social Security number. When I asked why they needed it, the saleswoman said that when shipping to the US it is now required by Customs. Has anyone ever heard of this???? I was very reluctant to give my SS# out.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

KathyO
05-17-2002, 10:46 PM
First I've ever heard of it... I regularly send Canuck care packages to my brother down in California, and have only ever had to fill out the tiny green slip that specifies what it is, how much it's worth, and whether it's a gift. And I've done it recently, so this isn't a post-9-11 thing. Granted, I'm not a registered business doing mass mailings, but still, this sounds really iffy.

Push back... ask to speak to a manager, ask for a Customs number/website where this regulation is laid out where YOU can see it, and see whether they'll back down. I don't like handing out this kind of information (Social Security/Social Insurance, Driver's License # etc.) either.

Good luck,

KathyO

kls
05-19-2002, 10:06 PM
That sounds absolutely CRAZY...dont give your SS# out over the phone to anybody, unless you want your identity stolen!

Who in Canada needs a United States social security number: someone who can sell it!

I have ordered tons of stuff from Canada, and this issue has never been addressed.

I would cancel my order, and deal with someone else....or talk with a manager, he needs to know what is going on in his store!

Karen2
01-13-2003, 05:59 AM
Yes I just placed an order and they asked me for my SSN too. When I hesitated, she said that if I wanted to, I could change one of the digits ... just don't tell her I was doing it! Also, that if Customs did the check and the number doesn't check out, they would just call me and ask me to verbally confirm I had placed the order and was a US citizen. So that's what I did. HTH.

Karen2
01-13-2003, 06:01 AM
Ha, I'm still not used to it being 2003 yet! I was just wondering how your post could be dated in the future and duh it dawned on me. Please just ignore me.

cinrein
01-13-2003, 01:08 PM
My father owns a business in the US and bought machinery from Canada a few years ago. He had to give his SSN so that Customs could record the transaction and the US gov. could collect Federal taxes on the purchase. I don't know if you only pay taxes on purchases over a certain dollar amount or not (his machinery was several thousand dollars). You may want to visit U.S. Customs' and/or IRS web site to see if you can find more information. I really don't think the salesperson was trying to steal your identity since there are valid reasons for needing the SSN.

Cindy
edd 2/14/03

sidney
08-25-2003, 11:13 PM
I did email the company back and explained that I was not comfortable giving them my SS#. They said they do it all the time. That is is not required if you send something through the mail, but if something has to go through Customs, they are required to have it. She then emailed me a letter from Customs w/ the name and number of someone I could contact. I have attached it in case anyone would like to see it.

Besides looking for some feedback, I posted my dilemma here b/c I know others have ordered Gliders from that same company and wondered if they had to give them their SS#.