PDA

View Full Version : gift registry

amyzjoy
07-13-2002, 06:58 PM
Just wondering what opinions are out there for baby gift registries on line. I am interested in your experience in all aspects such as setting up the account, having the items that you want, gift availability, user ease, etc. I am near 6 months and want to start this process soon.
Thanks

suzska
07-14-2002, 01:17 PM
Well, when I was pg, it was just before BabiesRUs switched to Amazon, so things were a lot better. Shipping was MUCH cheaper than what Amazon tends to charge nowadays. I think it was $7 to ship the stroller my mother bought for us. Period. And it was a monster Travel System. And I don't think there was tax. Now the shipping and tax on this item comes to $40 (shipping is around $23 of that).

Of course things would be different if we actually had a BabiesRUs in the area (the closest one is 1 hour away for me, which means it's about 2.5 hours for my relatives). The ToysRUs stores around here (Pittsburgh, PA) don't carry nearly as much as the BRU stores. We were actually in Greensboro, NC when I was about 6 months pg, and looked at a bunch of the stuff at the BRU store there and added stuff to the registry, since we could finally see it in person.

Having said that, it was very easy to, set up, use and add things to my registry. And the registry was available at all BRU/TRU stores. It's just that nobody could (or would, if it was available to them at a TRU) buy stuff for me from it. I've found that a lot of people tend to just ignore your registry and get what they want. This sort of irritates me. I try to buy stuff off of people's registries (whether for baby or wedding), and have been known for "clearing out" all the little items that other people have left on the registry.

I don't have any experience with other online registries. I have looked at JCPenny's, but they don't necessarily have the baby selection that some other places might (at least online/in the catalog), but at least they also have stores nationwide.

Of any place that you choose, I would check out there shipping charges, return policy, and possible discounts for people buying from your registry.

blnony
07-14-2002, 01:57 PM
Babycenter.com has a great online registry. I've used them for several things and I have never had a problem. They also were offering 10% off when someone purchased a registry item. They have good customer service and setting up the registry is really easy.

sntm
07-15-2002, 11:08 PM
I've just played around with them as I learn everyone's suggestions about products, but the best so far is babycenter.com. Plus, they lay them out in a really nice format and give you an opportunity to leave comments about the specific items.

Babiesrus really doesn't have that great a selection, although they are good for some specific lines, like the John Lennon collection. Plus, a lot of things are not available to buy online. I bought from them for a friend and at least half their registry was only for purchase in the store.

I like babystyle as far as selection but adding to the registry seems unnecessarily complicated. You have to sign in and out of the registry.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever

kfcboston
10-08-2002, 02:45 PM
I found this strand while looking for some wisdom on baby registries myself. I'm only 19 weeks, but am grappling with whether or not to do a registry. I may do it just for some select larger items? If anyone has any more to add, especially recent experiences with particular registries, I'd love to read it! Thanks!

nohomama
10-08-2002, 06:32 PM
I used babystyle.com. I found it easy to set up and I also liked the fact that babystyle always seem to have a coupon code for free shipping or $10 off, etc. (try http://www.webbuyingguide.com/)

Sarah

Hannaheser
10-28-2002, 04:23 PM
I found the coolest site thanks to some buddies on another board.

www.whattoget.net

you can put everything YOU want from multiple websites, it is the solution to all my problems, as no one site had everything we needed! Enjoy!!!!

elizab27
10-30-2002, 08:19 PM
Thanks, that is a great reference since I was wondering if there was a way to link multiple registries.

My big debate is does it make more sense to register for all the little things (bottles, blankets, tub, towels, onesies, etc.) so people can make gift baskets (more fun) or just the bigger things (don't want to register for EVERYTHING). I figured that I could just tell my family what big items we've decided on if they ask for something they can buy rather than have all my co-workers/friends see my "big items" on a registry.

Suggestions anyone?

emilys
11-19-2002, 04:46 AM
I just had my shower yesterday (it was great!) and I only registered at Babies R Us and babiesrus.com where I could stare at it, read reviews, change my choices into the wee hours, read more reviews, add and delete items, etc. Some people bought stuff on line and shipped it to me or to themselves, some people went to Babies R Us or Toys R Us in person, some people just bought whatever they wanted (typically incredibly cute boutique toys and clothes that I didn't register for but love anyway.) Everyone who used the website seemed happy with the service, said it was easy, but one friend did say she was going to order on line until she saw that the shipping was almost as much as the item (something extra heavy but I don't know what it is??), so she is going to the store in person to get it.

BUT BEWARE -- my friend who registered ON LINE with BRU/Amazon had a TERRIBLE experience when she tried to return stuff to the store - they made her send stuff (duplicates, etc) back to Amazon because she had registered on-line instead of in person at the store. Ridiculous since they carry the same stuff and all she wanted was store credit to get stuff she needed. She had a huge fight with the manager and still had to ship stuff back to Amazon, and I'm telling you, this girl is tough (and smart and polite) and she still lost out. I don't know if it was just this store (in Sherman Oaks, CA) or a general BRU/Amazon policy, but it was a huge pain in the neck.

I registered IN PERSON at the same store because she warned me about her experience, so my experience was fine. Also, I think it really helps to look at the stuff in person when making choices. I haven't had to return anything yet, though, but the service seems fine for a big discount store, sometimes slow but OK. So if you don't live too far away from a BRU, I recommend going in person.

Also, if you can, take a friend with a one year old (or toddler, whatever) with you when you register so she can tell you what you do and don't need. And don't forget your copy of Baby Bargains! Indispensible!

suzska
11-20-2002, 11:15 PM
I think I just read in the latest BabyBargains Newsletter that BRU stores are now accepting returns of items bought online.

I'm surprised they wouldn't give your friend store credit. I returned something to my local TRU (without a receipt) that I had gotten as a shower gift (and I had NO idea where they person got it), and they gave me store credit. I immediately used it to buy diapers or formula.

emilys
11-21-2002, 08:38 PM
I just read the same thing and was going to write in to retract my warning, that is the problem my friend had apparently no longer exists. The thing was, it was how SHE registered (on-line), not even how or where the gift-giver may have bought the gift, that they made her send stuff back to Amazon/BRU -- SO stupid since if they carry the item and it's unopened, they should just give her store credit which is all she wanted, but they looked her up in the system and said no. Like I said, she argued long and hard with the manager about this, and probably many others did too so apparently they've changed the policy so my warning no longer stands. So, um, never mind. But this is good news. :)

youngnan
01-11-2003, 07:48 PM
Does anyone know whether it is possible to return items bought from Babies R Us to a Toy R Us store? We registered at BRU, the nearest retail store is quite far away.

tinwhistle
01-21-2003, 10:56 AM
Another thing to consider when comparing registries is:

When someone buys a gift listed in your registry, how promptly is your registry updated to show other shoppers that the item has already been purchased for you?

I'm now at the end of 6 months and just getting into comparing these myself. If anyone out there can add to the comments on www.whattoget.net, I'd be interested in hearing whether you had a good experience. In particular, how do returns work? Do they just go per the return policy of the particular store?

Thanks for all the good info, folks.

zen_bliss
03-18-2003, 06:29 AM
i second the recommendation for www.whattoget.net

you can list ANYTHING there from any website and even link to photos. Way more fun for your shoppers, too, than just a list. wish i'd found it earlier. most of the obscure stuff I wanted (cloth diapers, slings, etc) was just NOT going to be found at retailers. babiesrus is lacking in the higher end selection of things if you want a nifty stroller or diaper bag, etc. good luck!

emilys
03-18-2003, 09:34 AM
I loved Babies R Us/Amazon on line. I registered at the store but then made lots of changes to my list from home on line, but I have friends who only registered on line with them and that worked for them. I was kind of obsessive about researching stuff after I made my initial list and read lots of reviews and added and deleted stuff like crazy from home, it was actually really fun. Not all items at the store are available on line but it was never a problem. We received almost everything we registered for between shower gifts and people sending stuff and lots of people ordered on line. The only downside is that shipping costs for heavy items are a bit expensive but I imagine that's true with most stores, on line or not. Also the service at the BRU store is a mixed bag, as it says in the book, but if you have your Baby Bargains book with you and perhaps a friend who has an older child or two (this was a big help in choosing my stuff), the service at the store doesn't matter. I never had to deal with on-line customer service for anything, we seemed to receive everything in a timely manner and the website gets updated immediately when someone buys something or when you make a change to your list.

angusmom
03-18-2003, 11:02 AM
Just my two cents based on when I registered for our wedding and what friends have said about their wedding and baby registries - AVOID TARGET!

The problem with Target is they change their merchandise seasonally. So you go and spend all kinds of time shopping around the store and picking your items, and then two months later everything is gone! They don't sell the stuff any more AT ALL!

We have a friend who only got half her dishes for her wedding and couldn't get the rest of the set. When I got married, all the bed linens we picked out were gone out of the stores by the time we got married.

With a baby registry, you'd have the same problem because you want to register early and don't have the baby for a few months later - so anything you pick out that changes with the season will be gone and your registry is USELESS.

Plus other posters on these boards have complained about the Target return policy if you receive a gift and don't get a gift receipt.

I don't think anyone else mentioned Target here yet. Maybe there is someone who has an opposing view of Target's registry and can post something more positive than I can. :)

youngnan
03-20-2003, 01:11 PM
I just want to second the positive opinion of www.whattoget.net--I am having my shower this weekend, and it's made life a lot easier. It's an online registry that not only links multiple registries, but also lets you list where you can find items at local stores. It's great because I don't have to cross reference lists for family/friends who are out of town and local friends.

They also have very fast customer service. They recently updated their site, resulting in a couple of bugs, but they fixed them right away, usually the same day.

Just a suggestion about listing small things--if you use this registry service, you can type your own "name" for the items. So for example, for baby toiletries, I listed several things separately but used a common category. i.e. "Natural baby-care: Burt's Bee's Apricot Oil" "Natural baby-care: Weleda Calendula Cream" etc so that people could decide whether they wanted to get them all together.

chrissyhowie
03-28-2003, 07:48 PM
I haven't used their registry personally, but I always tell newly pregnant friends to look at www.onestepahead.com and consider registering there. I think they have such interesting and practical items, although it probably would be best to get some advice from people who have kids before you went nuts and registered for everything there!

I had no problems with the babystyle.com registry except that many of the items I originally registered for went out of stock. We also used babiesrus.com without any problems.

--Chrissy
Mom to Chloe (1/29/03)

junior503
04-02-2003, 01:21 PM
I saw one comment to avoid Target, and I would have to agree on one point. The target registry is a big pain. However, people love to make baby gift purchases from Target. I had my first shower this weekend, and each gift purchased from a registry came from Target. Of course, I had to go online after the shower in order to check and see if what was purchased was marked as purchased off the registry. I noticed that half of the items were not. So, I had to make sure that those items were marked as purchased. Target does discontinue some items, but they did send me a postcard warning me that a few items would be discontinued. If you were to register at Target right now, I would suggest that you go back about a week or two before your first shower and confirm that the items you registered for are still available there and make adjustments if necessary.

colleenfs
05-01-2003, 01:42 PM
I registered with BRU/Amazon, and I had a mostly good experience with them. One item caused a problem - a friend bought something online off the registry, but when the box arrived, it was a set of pots and pans. It took several emails to rectify the problem, and then when we thought everything had been taken care of, my friend got a nasty email from Amazon... it all worked out in the end, but that was a pain.

I started the registry online, and then I ventured 30 miles out to the nearest BRU where I scanned a few more items. Later I discovered that these items never showed up on either the instore registry or the online registry. Not a big deal, but I don't know what happened there.

Still, I think BRU is the easiest forum to get most of your needs out there. I will use them again some day when #2 shows up. Plus we now have a BRU 2 minutes from my house.

Colleen
Mama to Julia 1-10-02

Dcclerk
05-02-2003, 01:00 PM
I'm due in June, and was asked by people to register at various places so that they would have a choice. Here on some of my thoughts on it:

1. My all-time favorite was www.whattoget.net. I loved that you could choose from any site on the web and compile it in one location. I spent a lot of time searching for the lowest prices, etc. However, honestly only about 10-15% of the guests used whattoget.net, and I have some pretty technologically savvy friends.

2. Babies R Us. Even though it is pricier for a lot of things and has horrible shipping prices, the vast majority of the people bought off this registery. There are only a couple of things left on the registry and its the "boring" stuff like a mattress. Even though people could have bought the Britax roundabout for about $40 cheaper at the place I listed on whattoget.net, they bought it at Babies R Us. People must really like getting things in person.

3. Local baby store. Honestly, only 2 people bought at a local baby store that doesn't have a website, and they were the 2 that asked me to register there. AND-- one didn't even buy anything from the registry. As much as I love to give business to small mom-and-pop places, I honestly don't think that people go there, so I definitely wouldn't make that the only registry.

4. Target. I didn't register at Target because, even though there is one right by my house, I honestly don't like that place. Nevertheless, many people do. And, they have a horrible return policy if you don't have a receipt. I think I should have just succumbed to the peer pressure and registered there because I think that maybe people would have been more likely to include a gift receipt if they had gotten a registry printout. As it was, I received roughly 20 sleepers all in yellow & green Carter's prints (we don't know the gender of our "Junebug")in the 3-6 mos range, and no gift receipts.

This is probably more than you wanted to know, but it's just my experiences. Hope this helps! :)