PDA

View Full Version : Great experience with buying Dutalier Glider

kls
08-20-2002, 12:35 PM
I bought a glider from www.goodnightben.com and can say that it was probably one of the best transactions I have ever had with an online dealer, and I buy almost everything online.

From the start, they offered to send me sample swatches of fabric, helped decide which model was best for me, and were VERY patient. Once the order was processed, they kept me informed along the whole process, from shipping info, etc...When the glider arrived, it was packaged unbelievably well, double boxed.

After my husband put it together, I sat in it, and a wooden piece that supported the rocking mechanism broke almost instantly (turns out it was a dutalier error-a grain in the wood at a point they drilled). Without any hesitation, goodnightben set me a brand new base and righted things immediately.

They followed up with a phonecall, and showed unparraleled customer service. After years of dealing with impersonal online retailers, its nice to do business with a company that knows what customr service is all about!

I would highly recommend them to anyone considering a Dutalier glider...there prices were the lowest on the internet (the same as a few other) and saved me a few 100 dollars off retail from stores here in Atlanta.

-kara

ham1299
03-09-2003, 01:22 AM
Kara,

You're in Atlanta. Did you have it shipped to your home? If so, what was the shipping cost - I hope you don't mind my asking.

Heather
Expecting #1
edd 6-16-2003

deenass
03-09-2003, 12:07 PM
Good Night Ben no longer carries Dutalier gliders. Something to do with new laws that won't allow Canadian companies to sell via internet to American (made things much cheaper for us here and US companies got upset!)

ham1299
03-09-2003, 08:01 PM
That stinks! :P Thanks for the info.

Heather
Expecting #1
edd 6-16-2003

angusmom
03-10-2003, 11:12 AM
Hello!

I was bummed to hear about the new rules too. I don't think it's a federal law that Canadian companies can't sell to US customers. It's a Dutailier rule from what I have heard. If they sell to US customers, Dutalier will cut off their account. :(

ham1299
03-10-2003, 11:12 PM
Wow! I think I had better order my glider now! I know some companies still offer them, but I'm sure time is very short.

Heather
Expecting #1
edd 6-16-2003
Heather
Expecting #1
edd 6-16-2003

stillplayswithbarbies
03-11-2003, 12:00 AM
I found the best prices at www.babycatalog.com . THey can order any Dutalier for you, so if you know the one you want call them and get a quote even if it is not on their website.

Mine came today and I love it! Be aware that they take 8-10 weeks no matter where you order them. Unless you find a floor model.

...Karen
Mom to Jake age 12 and expecting Logan Elizabeth or Garrett Logan, EDD March 21

ham1299
03-11-2003, 02:32 AM
Karen,
That's exactly where I plan to get mine. I currently have it on my registry, but am wondering if I should just go ahead and buy it. I think I'm gonna call them about that. Hopefully, if it can't be bought online, they'll take a phone order. Thanks.

Heather
Expecting #1
edd 6-16-2003

deenass
03-11-2003, 01:09 PM
We got our Dutalier glider from babycatalog (went to the store because we live in CT and figured since we were paying the tax we may as well check out the store). The website actually had a better price than the store, but they honored the website price.

Wish I could say that I was thrilled. While the glider came in about 6 weeks (rather than the 8-10 weeks they said it might take) it was broken when we got it. Now, this isn't BabyCatalog's fault and they are working on getting me a replacement, (they even have a rep who handles all Dutalier orders). Just put a damper on our experience. They did have the best price at the time. And Babies R Us quoted us a 16 week lead time for the same chair.

Order sooner rather than later, everyone I know loves sitting in their rocker before the baby comes!

ham1299
03-12-2003, 01:16 PM
Thanks. I think we'll have to order soon. Dh is dragging his heels, but it is a lot of money. Anyway, with only 13 weeks to go, I guess we had better order soon!

Heather
Expecting #1
edd 6-16-2003

jenni2
03-17-2003, 01:21 PM
Hi Everybody!
Just wanted to share that I ordered a glider/rocker from www.goodnightben.com that is NOT a Dutalier. They are now making their own rocker/gliders with an even better warranty than Dutalier. The sales person was excellent and assured me that if I am not happy in any way, I can return the rocker/glider for a full refund. She said that, in her opinion, I will like it even better than a Dutalier. I know that Dutalier has an excellent history, but since Good Night Ben gets such great reviews, I trusted them that this new rocker/glider will be what I expect. I'll keep you posted!
Jenni
Baby Girl Sarah due May 20

mom03
03-22-2003, 08:37 AM
Hi all,

Just wanted to say that we had a wonderful experience with goodnightben as well. DH and I have been looking around at gliders since my first trimester whenever we go into BRU or any other baby specialty stores. We know Dutailier comes highly recommended from all the readings but we simply couldn't stomach the costs in most cases (can't imagine spending more on the glider than on the crib):) However, we still wanted to get a glider of a decent quality. That's where Shermag comes in. We first saw the brand at Sam's Club last winter. Sam's was selling it (the glider and ottoman - no multi-position lock or recline feature) for approx. $260. I wasn't familiar with the Shermag brand at that point but was impressed with the look and the quality. I tried it then and it was extremely comfortable (my issue with some of the gliders is that some of the arms are a bit too high for me...even an inch makes a big difference). However, we did not buy it then because we weren't sure if it's a good brand, if we could do without the multi-position lock etc. I know from reading some of the threads in the forum, Target sells the Shermag brand too and a lot of people are please with it. So finally when we decided to get it from Sam's this past January, the only one left was the floor model:( There was nothing wrong with it except for the fact it was a floor model:) (and Sam's did offer to take I think 10% off the price) but I'm generally very particular about such things and so we didn't get it. Then DH came across goodnightben and saw this glider on sale $270 shipping included (only in natural - which was fine with us since that was the color we were looking for anyway and only in 2 possible fabrics) Picture: http://www.goodnightben.com/gliders/sg/model/212844.htm
As usual, we were pondering over it for a couple of weeks since we never bought anything from goodnightben. Then we decided to call and ask for more info such as the arm measurement from the seat, confirming the price etc. The customer service person was extremely helpful and even offered to go and personally measure the arm height for us, which was great. We officially made the order on Feb 28 and goodnightben told us that it'll take them some time (I can't remember the time they gave) to process the order and once they get it out, the shipping itself will take 4-5 days (they told us that they'll sent us an email when they actually get the order out). We received our glider on March 7. We didn't receive the email until March 8:) Apparently, they got the order out and the order supposedly will be dropped off at the Fedex depot in Detroit on March 6 and the time given to reach us from there was approx. 7 days. I think that was why they didn't send the email out until March 8 because they didn't think we'll get it on March 7 - just a day after the dropped off date. We live in Ohio...so I guess it makes sense for us to get our package that quick. All in all - problem free. Glider arrived in good condition and I enjoyed using it whenever I use it. Don't miss the recline feature. Am glad for the multi-position lock though. Found out that I get a bit queasy from gliding too much:) Was thinking the lock will probably come in handy when trying to get out of the glider when having baby in my arms too. We'll see. Note: we didn't get the ottoman..so can't say much about that. Am currently using Rumble Tuff nursing stool from babycenter to elevate my feet. Great product as well.

Didn't mean to write this long. Just wanted to share the experience:)

Chris
Expecting a boy 6/10/03