PDA

View Full Version : Shower Registry

mom2ben
07-14-2003, 04:10 PM
I'm located in Washington state, but my family and friends are scattered throughout the U.S. and Canada. If they choose to buy a gift for our incubating loved one, I want to make it easy on them, as well as, easy on me. I'd like to register online, but don't know which online site to go with. We have a Mega-Box store near us called Babies R Us. Any comments on registering with them or do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any helpful information.

Mom2Ben

mamahill
07-14-2003, 06:19 PM
You might want to do a search on BRU because I seem to recall not favorable reviews of this registry. I believe some have had issues with returns/exchanges in the BRU stores if they have ordered online, but I'm not sure. I don't have any other suggestions (sorry!) just know that there have been issues in the past. Another one to stay away from unless you diligently retain receipts is Target. You could do a search for Target and get a bunch of not-so-favorable reviews. One way to combat this is to make sure you know EXACTLY what you want, register for a few big items, and then let people know that gift cards are the way to go. That way people can either get you a big thing (Baby Bjorn, stroller, car seat, etc.), or give a gift card that will DEFINITELY be appreciated, whether you use it pre- or post-birth! Good luck!

August Mom
07-15-2003, 12:16 AM
I registered with BRU and didn't have any problems. Most people purchased items from a brick and mortar store, but several ordered on-line. There were some issues with returns to BRU stores when presented with an Amazon receipt. However, now the official policy is to accept returns at the store of items purchased on-line. Also, remember that BRU always takes returns without a receipt for store credit. Unless the item you are trying to return is discontinued, clothing or possibly bedding you should get full retail price because things at BRU other than clothing and bedding are rarely on sale. I found the on-line registry very convenient for adding and deleting items. The downside to BRU on-line is that the on-line store is run by Amazon and shipping is sometimes outrageous. Also, there generally is not free shipping from the BRU store even if there is at the regular Amazon store.

If you want a strictly on-line registry, you can register at babycenter.com.

Karenn
07-15-2003, 10:10 AM
Another plus that I found with having a BRU registry is that people could access it from a Toys R Us store, even if they didn't have a BRU in their home town. I never had any trouble with returns. I did however have a little trouble with the online registry keeping up with in store purchases and ended up with duplicates of some items as a result. Still, that wasn't too awful since I was able to return everything easily. HTH.

heidi_timms
07-16-2003, 10:57 AM
Personally, all of the registries out there seem bad. Target has a terrible return policy and BRU has somewhat of a slim selection of strollers and furniture and the Right Start is expensive. BRU seems to be the best choice out of all of them though.We also did the Right Start for some toys and things that BRU didn't have.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

Dcclerk
07-22-2003, 01:31 PM
My favorite online registry (that I learned about here, of course) was www.whattoget.net. You are able to link to all different kinds of websites so you can choose exactly what you want and who you would like to support. I often found things much cheaper for my links than were offered at Babies R Us. That being said, most people still liked going to the store and picking up the item, so I would register both at whattoget.net AND BRU or Target or whatever.

Congratulations on your little one and welcome!!