PDA

View Full Version : Birth Announcement.. is it tacky to not put a photograph?

papal
09-04-2003, 04:07 PM
Hello,
Our baby is due next month and I have started browsing for birth announcements online. As suggested by someone else I loved the ones on invitingsmiles.com. I particularly liked the really simple ones that dont have a photograph printed on them.. i was not sure though if these days it is ok to send out birth announcements without a photgraph? Would that be tacky?
Here are some that I liked.. and now that i think about it.. i am sure if i got a colored vellum overlay over some thick white cardstock and some nice ribbon.. i could possibly do it myself! NOT!

Here are some that i liked to give you an idea:
http://www.invitingsmiles.com/Rose%20Garden%20Page.htm
http://www.invitingsmiles.com/Satin%20Slippers%20Page.htm

Any advice would be appreciated!
Rashmi (edd 10/19)

pritchettzoo
09-04-2003, 06:25 PM
Those are beautiful! I don't think it's tacky not to use a photograph. The really "traditional" announcements never have them, so it's certainly not tacky! We're going with a non-photo announcement as well. (http://www.crane.com/prdSell.asp?ProdGroupID=15463&DeptID=15328&CatID=15948 in case you're interested!) We figured since Christmas was so close, we could do photo cards for then and DD will look more "normal" (hopefully--yikes!). Plus we'll have more time to get the perfect picture and not stress ourselves out with that at the very beginning. I'm sure it would work for other holidays as well. We've gotten Hannukah, Happy Winter, and even Valentine cards from friends with baby pictures on them.

Anna
#1(DD) EDD 9/10/03

AdoptChina
09-04-2003, 06:41 PM
I ordered some from PreciousPrinting.com. Mine had a picture, but they also have them without pics. Very affordable and a pleasure to work with
Susan

C99
09-04-2003, 07:35 PM
Tacky isn't the word I'd use for photo-free birth announcements. I'm sure that whatever you choose will be fine. :)

Momof3Labs
09-04-2003, 09:49 PM
Tacky, definitely not. But consider what the recipients want - they want to see a picture of baby! Can you come up with another way to satisfy their need for a picture?

cara1
09-05-2003, 01:10 PM
We didn't have a picture, but we did print the address for DS's website right on the announcement.

papal
09-05-2003, 03:27 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions.. I loved the Baby Clothesline card by Crane.. that is just too cute!
I have also decided to postpone the photograph for our Xmas card.. that way I have some time to stress over getting it digitized and plus the baby would look so much cuter by Christmas with a santa hat!

In the meanwhile, call me crazy, but I actually went to a Michaels craft store yesterday and picked out samples of vellum, cardstock, some eyelets and a rubberstamp of a baby carriage and have decided to make the cards myself!! With matching thankyou cards. It really doesn't seem all that hard! Wish me luck!

I am going to steal the idea of printing the website on the back of the card if people want to see photographs of baby.

Thanks again everyone!
Rashmi (edd 10/19)

mharling
09-08-2003, 11:44 AM
I was going to tell you that you can definitely do it yourself! I made the bulletins for our wedding using a similar idea. The hardest part was getting the text positioned perfectly.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32e1840e40d - New 9/8

Suzyfunk
11-01-2003, 10:38 PM
I agree...you can do it yourself! I found a box of 50 announcements for $14.99 at Staples office supply store. That's like $.30 a piece, not including the cost of your ink cartridge or postage. They are not available online, but you can get them in the store. They also have a nice assortment of announcements, invitations, etc. that you can print on your computer. They even have the cute little ribbon and the holes are pre-cut. Have fun!

brigmaman
11-06-2003, 03:10 PM
You can definitely do it yourself. I actually did it for fun, not necessarily to save money. I don't even really know how much it made a difference. I bought polka dot vellum in pastel colors on clearance at Walmart and also bought square blank note cards from Walmart. I cut the vellum to fit the front of the card and then printed the info on the computer. Then I hole punched to top middle. I used different ribbon through the top- not a bow, just fit through the hole like you see on some invites. It was a relaxing thing to do those first few days when baby slept all day. (Hindsight is 20/20, lol!) We did a Christmas card and I don't regret not sending a picture with the announcement.
Good Luck with the announcements,

amp
11-10-2003, 03:14 PM
Rashmi - I made our birth announcements and they looked *very* much like the ones you are looking at. I printed Jacob's stats and his footprint (which we scanned and shrunk a bit in size) onto white vellum and attached the vellum (slightly smaller than the cardstock) to baby blue cardstock with a thin, white satin ribbon. We did not have a picture on the annoucement and everyone commented that they thought they were perfect! They were extremely well received!

For family and close friends, we did include a copy of the hospital photos in the envelope. We just ran the larger pic through the scanner (scandalous! You're supposed to actually purchase more!) and then printed out a bunch of wallet sized ones to include with the annoucements. You could do this, or if you don't have a scanner, upload a digital pic to an online photo place like www.shutterfly.com or www.snapfish.com (both of which we happily use) and order multiple copies of your favorite pic. If you don't have a scanner, digital camera, or hospital pics you can order, you can always take a negative or real pic to a photo developing place and have more made.

HTH!

deenass
11-16-2003, 04:21 PM
We had annoucements without a picture, but I did include a pic with each annoucement. I had color copies made at Staples and the quality was great ... i got 4 to a page which was much cheaper than having copies made of the pic for everyone.