PDA

View Full Version : Handy software for used clothes and toys

klpeterson
10-21-2003, 08:07 AM
As you know, kids go through sizes so quickly and duplicate toys are not unusual.

Rather than rummage sales and eBay http://portals.ebay.com/2984?ssPageName=MOPS5:HHM02
consider charity thrift stores.

I found a software called DeductionPro
http://store.taxcut.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry10?V1=568674&PN=2&SP=10023&xid=1478#features
which has a database of fair market value for all sorts of items. You'd be surprised what the IRS allows for baby and kids' clothes!

You can also log cash contributions on this software. The data can be directly exported to TaxCut http://www.taxcut.com/index.html

Furthermore the cost of this software (including shipping, if you choose not to download) is also deductable as part of the preparation fee.

Rule of thumb: every $1.00 in deductions gets you $0.50 in refunds.

Dad-to-be
and part-time tax preparer

Dcclerk
10-22-2003, 10:46 AM
Thanks! We donate a ton of stuff and this is VERY helpful. It also helps to put my ebay buying into perspective! :)

klpeterson
11-02-2003, 09:52 PM
Glad to help. You'll be pleasently surprised what the IRS allows for charitable donations.
Furthermore driving to the doctors is deductible at $0.13/mile, tolls and parking are also fair game (whatever it takes to get over that 7.5% restriction).
For charity any out-of-pocket expense for volunteer work is also deductible as if you wrote a check as is mileage at $0.12/mile. Yes, DeductionPro allows you to log these expenses (charity not medical) as well. You can also log cash contributions (e.g. church offerings).

sntm
11-04-2003, 12:56 PM
my husband is going to love this! thanks!

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

NEVE and TRISTAN
11-25-2003, 12:19 AM
I'm glad to have run into this thread...since my hubby and I were just talking about this do you mind talking me thru the every $1 deducted is 50 cents in refund. That is way better than I thought (I am so not in the accounting business so begging for education)...
I assumed every $1 deducted would equal the % bracket you are in, what am I missing????

For example if I make $10,000 a year household income and the brakcet is 22% (I'm making up numbers)...then if I was able to deduct $2,000 wouldn't I be getting a refund of $440 and not a $1,000.

Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

mik8
11-25-2003, 09:38 AM
Gotta love you for this! Thanks. Keep us updated more on this kind of stuff especially when tax time is around the corner. I see you're a "dad-to-be." Good luck. You'll become an expert soon. I went back to work the first time last weekend and found out only half of my baby's butt was covered (courtesy through my DH). Oh, the joys of parenthood!

klpeterson
11-25-2003, 11:02 PM
From your hyopothetical, you would, in fact, receive even more with the Earned Income Tax Credit, don't forget the exemptions (yourself, spouse and kids). Furthermore the standard deduction would exceed the itemized deductions in your hypothetical.
As a lot of parents pay mortgages and property tax (houses have been known to increase fertility), itemizing gives the biggest refund.
Nevertheless, that $1 in dedcutions yielding $0.50 in REFUNDS is a rule-of-thumb for tax planning. Keep in mind that there are various assumptions that may or may not apply in your individual case (more details are needed--I don't recommend posting them here!). The first assumption being that all income was subject to withholding. The other major assumption being that no exemptions (except for the couple) or deductions (like mortgage interest) were factored into the employer's withholding tables.
It is a dirty little secret: A tax refund represents an interest-free loan to the United States Treasury. It is not a grant or benefit (barring EITC)--IT IS YOUR MONEY IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I realize that the answer is long, but have I answered your query. The important point is to claim all allowable deductions if they prove to exceed the standard deduction. This software helps you to do that with respect to charitable contributions.

klpeterson
11-25-2003, 11:12 PM
Thank you for your encouragement. My wife had a miscarriage this month. Our parenthood will not be so soon.
As for the tax planning, I saw DeductionPro for sale at my local OfficeMax. Keep your eyes open for it at other retailers. Most retailers offer rebates and/or freebies on tax softwares. It's been my experience that Best Buy does the best job of screening vendors for rebate shennigans.

NEVE and TRISTAN
11-25-2003, 11:17 PM
Thank you so much for answering!!!
Some of my dearest friends are accountants and they always joke at how boring it is, but lately I so wish I had studied it, not for a career as much as for the fact that it does interest me.
Thank you again!!!

My parents who I doubt have ever had a credit card bill and just seem to do everything "so right" always lecture us for letting Uncle Sam "borrow" our money over the year...they always say it is way better to owe it back (and to pay it on time of course) then to be owed it back. but I know my personality I enjoy seeing the revealed number of what I'm getting back and then love to just wait for it :)...

Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

cinrein
11-26-2003, 08:07 AM
I'm so sorry. Please know that we're thinking about you and your wife.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

Dcclerk
11-29-2003, 02:59 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your wife's miscarriage. Thank you so much for still coming back and checking in with us. There's a number of couples on this board who have been through the same thing and I am sure that they would be great supports if you need it.

Have a wonderful holiday weekend.

mik8
12-01-2003, 10:35 AM
I am really sorry to hear about your wife. I also had a miscarriage a few months before our dear Sofia was conceived. I know it's hard what you're going through right now as we were in the same boat. I just want to assure you that after researching about miscarriage, it really doesn't lessen your chance of getting pregnant again the second time around.

starrynight
12-01-2003, 11:25 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that, you and your wife are in my thoughts.