PDA

View Full Version : Warning...Major problems with Baby's R Us registry

hellosmiletoday
04-10-2004, 12:30 AM
I went to BRU today to add a few things to my registry, and found out that all the items that had been purchased were no longer marked as such. Apparently BabiesRus.com (Amazon) is having some "technical problems", so I spent like an hour with the registry department updating my registry. It seems as though when you update your registry online (add or delete items), the store computer "resets" itself, and all the purchased items now look as they are still available! I wonder how long my registry has been like this...the shower invitations went out 2 weeks ago :(

So my advice is NOT to log on or alter your BRU registry online! I deleted my cookies and my history so I can view my registry as if I was a stranger, and will NEVER log on again. I'm also considering changing my "registry message" to "Boycott Amazon.com/BabiesRUs.com :)". Seriously though, I wonder what will happen to my registry if someone decides to purchase something online...will that cause it to reset itself as well???

What an experience....I wish I could register elsewhere b/c I really feel that BRU does not deserve my business.

Update...4/13 Yet another item on my registry is unavailable -- the playard...wont be in stock until after baby shower, possibly after the delivery date. We have already had to return to the store to pick a replacement to almost EVERY big ticket item on our registry. The swing and carseat were discontinued only a few DAYS after we registered them...and now the playard is out of stock....and I only registered a few weeks prior to my baby shower. This registry has been a waste of our time and our family's time. BRU keeps on telling our family to check in "next week", week after week. The least BRU could do is ship the item complementary from another store if they dont have it in stock...but no. (and I'm boycotting Amazon so online is not an option). Oh well...BRU is going to miss out on my business cause I'm going elsewhere for the remaining big ticket items, including my Peg P3!

Eloise36
04-10-2004, 01:12 AM
I had major issues with my registry at BRU too! I first set up my registry online, then went to the store to update it based on the stuff that we saw. The registry system was offline when I got to the store, so the registry desk gave me a scanner to scan in items around the store, promising to update when the system came back online. Unfortunately, it was still offline when I returned the scanner so they took down my information on paper and promised to update my registry with what I had scanned in the store that day. I checked a few weeks later and found there were two separate registries set up for me! The store couldn't find my registry that had been set up online, so they just created a whole new registry with a slightly different version of my name. Try as I could, I could not get the store to reconcile both registries (I don't think the local registry people knew how to do that). I tried to have them delete the one in the store, but people who went to the local BRU were still seeing that registry months later when I had my shower and were buying items off it. What a mess! I too wished I had registered somewhere else.

hellosmiletoday
04-10-2004, 01:23 AM
Problem is that BRU has a virtual monopoly on the baby business, because there are no other good choices for national registries for B & M stores. And the worst part is that for all the money BRU is making, the stores are not in great shape...they feel more like a walmart. My wedding registry at Burdines and LnT was much more enjoyable!!! Going to BRU is a chore!

holliam
04-10-2004, 07:33 AM
Well, I am honestly boycotting them. I still haven't decided on the best solution. But, I hate Babies R Us so much, and I don't like Amazon either. I started shopping at Amazon back in '96 when they really had just started. Their service deteriorated so drastically over the years. I have successfully boycotted them now for at least 18 months!

I shop at USA Baby locally. They will put your registry online also and people can shop from it nationally. The downside is that it doesn't have pictures, just the items. Also, I can't figure out how to avoid shipping and just allow us to pick stuff up at the store when people buy it for us. So, I'm still struggling with that.

I'm shopping around some other sites too, but there is no way I am doing the Babies R Us thing! Besides, they only have like 2 items I even want in that whole store!

Holli

lynettefrancois
04-11-2004, 10:11 PM
I had similar problems 6 months or so ago. I added stuff in the store to my online registry, and the two systems didn't "talk" to each other. They had to fix it for me. Their programmers must be working on it... and haven't quite figured it out yet. :) For people who haven't registered yet, if possible, I would recommend registering ONLY at the store- it should get online (of course I would double check). At least they have a good return policy.

matthewsmom
05-08-2004, 09:25 PM
I totally agree also! I had attempted to register at BRU several times. I think for a total of 3 times I went to the store to start our registration. Each time either the scanners weren't working, no one was at customer service or the wait was too long. So I finally just gave up and registered at Target. I also found that the customer service at both BRU and TRU were rude and not helpful. I just never seem to have a good experience there so I decided to boycott them. So even when they have deals I still refuse to shop there. I found that Buy Buy Baby to be much better. They usually accept competitors prices so I just go straight to them instead.

Carolyn

Mom to Matthew 7/19/03