PDA

View Full Version : JDEE.net - shipping fiasco - any advice?

jennahy
03-14-2005, 04:35 PM
In late February, I ordered a Sorelle Jenny combo dresser from JDEE.net. I was enticed by the low price and free shipping.

It appears the shipping is not so free after all. I just received a call from the distributor (CNC International) JDEE.net uses that the shipper (Direct Shippers) refuses to deliver the dresser unless an additional lift gate fee of $80 is paid. Neither CNC or JDEE.net are willing to pay this fee, so apparently it's my responsibility to have two strong men available to unload the dresser from the delivery truck.

The original shipping email from JDEE.net does state that the shipping doesn't include inside delivery and that it's recommended that two men handle the piece, but I had no idea that that meant I needed to coordinate unloading the truck myself or pay the $80 lift gate fee. Currently, a helpful customer service rep at CNC is checking whether Direct Shippers makes weekend deliveries. If not, I have no idea how I'm going to round up two burly men on a week day.

I feel the promise of "free shipping" is rather empty when there are actually additional fees and/or hassles when ordering heavy items. At the very least, JDEE.net should take responsibility for informing users of this possibility at the time of checkout. I haven't experienced this kind poor service/communication in previous online and catalog furniture purchases. Perhaps it is worth the extra money to buy from more reputable, nationally-known companies after all.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Do you have any recommendations for how to handle this?

Thanks!

jennahy
03-15-2005, 11:26 PM
I just want to report that JDEE.net did opt to pay the $80 lift gate fee and the dresser was delivered today. The delivery company said they wouldn't bring the dresser up my porch steps, but the actual delivery guy was much nicer than the dispatcher and offered to do so. Maybe my obviously pregnant belly helped convince him that he shouldn't just leave the box in the front yard!

Bottom line: I'm pleased with my new combo dresser, but I think it may be less hassle to order large, heavy pieces in a local store rather than online.