PDA

View Full Version : Beware of Albee Baby

christamus
04-11-2005, 10:25 AM
I purchased a Colgate crib mattress from Albee Baby, thinking that I was getting a bargain. What I received looks more like factory seconds merchandise. The mattress was covered with black streaks on one side, streaks that won't wipe off. The mattress seams had several gaps in the sewing where it is ready to unravel. The packaging appeared to be original, but I really have to wonder if I am the first consumer to set hands on this mattress.

Albee Baby has a nasty returns policy:

"Items can be returned within 30 days of receipt of goods for a full refund of the purchase price less a $25 restocking fee for each item shipped. All furniture items will incur a 30% restocking fee unless otherwise stated on actual product page. Returned merchandise must be sent to us prepaid and insured."

There is no toll-free number to call, so I sent them an email asking if the restocking fee applies to defective merchandise returned under the manufacturer's warranty. They have not responded.

I have seen from other posts that many people were happy with their Albee Baby purchases. That's why I trusted this retailer. Now, however, I want nothing more to do with them, or any other internet baby store. All of them seem to have at least one unsatisfied customer.

safarimom
04-13-2005, 10:07 PM
I wonder if you can get a full refund if you complain to your credit card company. In my experience, that seems to be a good route to go when the merchant delivers defective services or merchandise.

HannaAddict
04-13-2005, 11:20 PM
I would immediately contest the charge with my credit card company. And take a couple of digital pictures. They should not charge a restocking fee for defective merchandise. How awful and maddening. I've never ordered from Albee Baby but have come close based on reviews on this board. Thanks for the warning.

Hope it works out.

PS We ordered our Classic I from Great Beginnings in MD I think, mattress arrived in perfect condition on the West coast for much less than I could buy it anywhere locally.

ADK
05-07-2005, 05:21 PM
And FWIW, we just received our TWO Classica I mattresses from Baby Catalog. Quick ship, great price ($79.99 + 16 shipping = less than $100).

Edensmum
05-18-2005, 09:45 PM
I would contact them again. i had an issue with a stroller from them and they handled it well and quickly at their expense. I don't think it applies to defective merchandise.
Eden 9/04

CharmedOne
05-23-2005, 05:15 PM
Oh no! I hope they resolved your situation. I just posted a rave review for Albee Baby. I had ordered both the Colgate Classica and a Sorelle Lana crib from them with no problems. Both arrived in mint condition.

Caroline

http://www.lilypie.com/pic/050322/43496df.jpg Nathan due May 28, 2005!!!
http://lilypie.com/days/050528/3/11/1/-8/.png