PDA

View Full Version : Punkinbutt.com Warning--Read before ordering!

justlearning
09-20-2005, 04:15 PM
I posted this into the Bargains forum but thought I should cross-post it here as well, so here goes...

I just wanted to warn all of you about what you may encounter with punkinbutt.com if your experience is anything like mine. First of all, let me say that I have always been a big supporter of small businesses, especially those owned by WAHMs, and have encouraged my friends to buy from them as well (e.g., fleecebaby, snugtuckpillow, and zolowear to name just a few).

Unfortunately, my first experience with punkinbutt was the worst experience I have ever had with an online retailer and thus I will not be buying from them again. Although the story is lengthy, I'll try to summarize my experience here. (If you want more info., email me and I can send you a copy of my correspondence with them.)

* I ordered a puppet theater from them, which I have been really wanting to get my son for Christmas. At that time, the shipping was showing as $20 for the puppet theater alone but I was willing to pay that because the total cost was still a good deal. I then looked around the website and found (similar to another poster's experience on here) that adding more items increased the shipping by less than $2. Thus, I decided to go ahead and order 7 other items, ranging from $5-$10, and paid a little less than $22 for the total shipping.

* They ended up sending me an email saying that my order had shipped. The next day, though, they sent me an email saying that the puppet theater was out of stock. The following day, they sent me another email that another item I had ordered was out of stock. They refunded the actual prices of the two items and $8 in shipping. Thus, I was charged over $13 for shipping the items that I had expected to pay less than $2 in shipping.

* According to their website policy at that time, they had stated: "If an item is backordered, we will make every effort to notify you as soon as possible. You will have the option to wait or cancel part or all of your order." If they had notified me in advance and told me the shipping for the 6 small items in stock was going to be $13, I would have told them to cancel my order.

OK, so that was the situation. What I described so far wasn't what actually bothered me. What bothered me was the way that I was treated by Trish and later by Natalie (one of the owners) when trying to email them about the problem. First, they were slow to respond to my emails--I had even offered to refuse shipment of the delivery of the items but had no response back for around 4 days until after the box already had arrived. More importantly, they did not take responsibility for their mistake, they continued to insist that I pay the shipping charges for the items shipped to me, and Natalie even used what appeared to be deception in one email (I was hoping that it was just inaccurate information but she didn't respond to my pointing out the inaccuracy). After making a phone call (not returned) and sending 4 or 5 emails, Natalie did end up refunding $5 but I was still left feeling very dissatisfied with my experience.

Based upon my emails with Natalie, she did change the policies on their website. If you still want to order from them, please read those carefully. You should be aware, though, that they're still having computer problems regarding their inventory. After seeing a post here, I tried to go onto their system to purchase a puppet theater (which I still really want). Their system allowed me to put it in my cart and start to pay for it. I called Natalie right then to say that they need to send that to me if they were back in stock now. She told me that they were having problems and that things were showing up as being in stock (including the Learning Tower and puppet theater) when they actually weren't in stock.

So, the bottom line is I would advise being very cautious when ordering from this company. They definitely seem to have computer inventory problems but more importantly have problems with their customer service as well. In fact, Natalie just hung up on me when I was talking with her...not a person I'd recommend ordering from, sadly.

justlearning
09-20-2005, 04:39 PM
I can't believe this... I just received this email from Natalie:

"Your recent post at the Baby Bargains Board has been brought to my
attention. I apologize if you feel that I hung up on you, it was not my intention. In fact, I believed our conversation to be completed.

Please be advised that any defamatory statement or other wrongful conduct that threatens the rights or interest of Punkin-Butt will be subject to appropriate legal recourse."

I thought the purpose of this board was to be able to post honest reviews--good or bad--about our experiences with companies for the purpose of helping other mommies make informed decisions. I have always found such reviews to be helpful to me personally and I have previously posted positive reviews of my experiences with other retailers.

Now that I posted my first negative review of a company, I am threatened with legal action...unbelievable! As I said, I would be happy to forward my actual correspondence with them to anyone who wants to independently assess if my review here is an accurate representation of my experience with them.

FoxyMom
09-20-2005, 06:13 PM
My name is Tami, and I work for Punkin-Butt. I had a huge post typed out, but I thought simple is better.

The OP says her name is Anne, although the order she is talking about was placed under a different name. I feel it is safe to assume it is the same person since I know the details of the order.

I have to say, I have been part of Punkin-Butt since Natalie became the owner almost two years ago. You should see the amount of emails she gets PRAISING her for our customer service. We do try our best to make everyone happy, but just as in life, that is impossible to do. There is always one or two people that will not be happy no matter what lengths you go to.

We do make every effort to make our customers happy but not to the length of cowering to threats and demands of anyone. If you choose not to order from Punkin-Butt because we do have the occasional shopping cart malfunction, that is your right. But do know that you will be treated fairly and honestly as all of our customers have been in the past and will continue to be in the future.

As tempting as it is to go line by line through the OP and explain or defend any of our actions, we will let the facts speak for themselves. Natalie has authorized me to post the complete correspondence between her and “Anne� you can see for yourself here: http://www.punkinbutt.com/emails.html

Regarding the previous post, Natalie does take her personal and professional reputation very seriously and would not hesitate to take any and all legal action to protect it. But she would only do so if provoked as she has clearly been in this situation.

I hope, “Anne� that you rethink the ramifications of posting such reckless words about someone and their business. It is very clear to me and to the others Natalie consulted with that she did make every attempt to fix any discrepancies or variations from the posted policies of the store.

Tami
Marketing Manager - Punkin-Butt/All Natural Mamas
Mama to Savannah - 10/03

SuenosDelMar
09-20-2005, 11:32 PM
Yup, you're right to be upset. And this isn't the first time Punkin-butt and BBB mamas have had issues:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=34082&mode=full

I have ordered some freshies from them and was NOT happy w/ their lack of communication.

Now they are only making themselves look worse by harassing you. I certainly will NEVER order from them again because of that e-mail to you and the post from Tami. How rude and completely unprofessional!

Sorry that you got cheated and are getting harassed.

alandenisefields
09-21-2005, 11:18 AM
We posted this info to the Bargain forum, but since this was cross-posted here, we will also post our thoughts!

---

Okay, let us weigh in here for a minute.

As most folks realize, you have a First Amendment right to post your opinions about any company, product or service on the web. Such speech is protected . . . however, libel is NOT.

What is libel? Basically, it is a false statement that is intentionally written to harm or damage someone else. Note the words FALSE and INTENTIONAL---that is, you must knowingly post false info. Truth is the ultimate defense against any libel claim.

Here's an example of libel: in the past year on our message boards, a member posted that a stroller company ripped her off by not shipping her order. Turns out, the member NEVER ordered the stroller from that web site. She was a friend of a competing stroller web site owner and posted that false info to damage the reputation of the other site. That post was libel and was removed from our boards.

We do not believe the mere expression of an opinion about a web site/product (even if that opinion is negative) amounts to libel. As long as their opinion is based on a truthful account of the transaction, it is OK.

Now, of course, any company can THREATEN you with legal action for posting your opinion . . . even if they don't have a legal leg to stand on. We take a dim view of ANY company that threatens a board member with legal action for posting their opinion to this site.

That said, we DO allow vendors to respond to complaints posted to these boards. We think that is fair---but how they respond is up to them! Clearly, a company can do more damage to their reputation by botching a response then by simply fixing the problem in the first place.

Okay, that's all for now!

alan & denise
authors, BABY BARGAINS