PDA

View Full Version : Baby Universe is HORRIBLE!!!

AugBaby
03-15-2007, 11:12 AM
Please, please, please do not buy from Baby Universe.

I ordered a Britax Regent from them on Thursday. They told me on Friday it wouldn't be in until October. I cancelled with them on the phone and the rep told me it would take 4 days to credit my account.

I was annoyed and felt they were making interest off my money for the 4 days, I was paying an interest charge, and there was no hope of the seat shipping. Told the rep I disagreed with this policy. That they shouldn't have it listed as in stock on the web if it isn't in stock and it shouldn't take 4 days to give me my money back. Why did they have to wait until the warehouse confirmed if the seat had no hope of shipping before October. She was incredibly rude but said a supervisor would contact me on Monday.

I ordered the seat that same night from another vendor who had it in stock and shipped the next day.

Received a general email on Monday and let it all go as I didn't want my bloodpressure to go through the roof over a couple of dollars.

Wednesday comes along and I receive the seat I ordered from the good vendor and an email saying that Baby Universe had shipped my seat!

I called Baby Universe and said I didn't want the seat. Spoke with the same rude rude rep and she said I was responsible for shipping costs to return it. Requested a supervisor and one called back today, the next day.

The supervisor sees no reason for Baby Universe to pay for shipping. Apparently their inventory isn't very reliable and even if they tell you that the seat is definitely 100% out of stock until October, if they then happen to find one and ship it to you, it's your responsibility to ship it back. Had I been told that their inventory could be faulty, that there was a chance it could ship I never would have ordered from someone else until my account was credited. My initial complaint was that they shouldn't have taken my money if it was out of stock or keep it for 4 days if there was NO seat.

After this unpleasant conversation I requested the name of the supervisor's supervisor and was told that she reports to her "team mate" as a checks and balance system - no real boss or that she reports to the Board of Directors. She would give me no name or contact info for a supervisor.

I am so furious!!!! I told her that I couldn't believe that they didn't care about their reputation and she had no comment.

I will never order from them again.

LaurelC
03-15-2007, 02:37 PM
Wow, thanks for the heads up. I agree, that is terrible customer service.

Have you received the second seat yet? If not, I would just refuse delivery, and then take it up with the credit card company (or at least threaten to.)

Sorry that this happened to you!

AugBaby
03-15-2007, 08:00 PM
Even when refusing delivery, they've said that my credit card will be charged for the return shipping :-(

Someone else has said that there is a list of complaints about them with BBB. I guess it really pays to do your research BEFORE you order.

chlobo
03-16-2007, 05:52 PM
I would definitely contact the credit card company. If you told them you wanted the order cancelled & they didn't do it, its their fault. Let the CC take it up with them. Technically, if you are shipped something you didn't ask for you can keep it at no expense. This might qualify.

TwinsItIs
03-25-2007, 09:12 PM
I'd deny the charges with my CC company. I'm sure a car seat has a high shipping fee.

Puddy73
03-26-2007, 10:29 AM
Definitely take it up with your credit company. I think you have to file a complaint within 60 days. Keep all your messages and take names and notes when you talk to anyone. The exact same thing happened to me last year with Baby Universe. I got the exact same run around and line about "warehouse problems." I was so p*ssed that I wrote a letter to the VP of the company complaining about the situation. He actually called me personally, refunded my money and let me keep the seat. Just a thought in case you can't get a refund through your credit card company.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

newmomto3kids
04-01-2007, 12:45 PM
That would make my blood boil. I hate it when something like that happens, you call the company (thinking that they will apologize and take care of it for you) and you get even worse customer service. But, thanks to you, they will never get my business.
Hope it all works out for you.

chris_ginger
04-03-2007, 04:51 PM
Their customer searvice is the worst. I had the worst time trying to get a problem resolved with them. I had to get my credit card company involved. Never again.

jniter
04-04-2007, 06:02 PM
If you write a detailed complaint with the BBB, BabyUniverse may be forced to refund you all charges, including the return shipping. I would also put in a complaint with your credit card company. If you cancelled the order BEFORE it ships, a STANDARD policy is that they cancel the order even if the item restocks the next minute.

I've never heard anything so ridiculous in my life.

DH had some tussle with our cell phone provider and took it up with the BBB. Not long after he wrote the letter (about 10 days), we saw a lot of credits in our account. They really do follow up with complaints.