PDA

View Full Version : Baby w/ coat fit in PP Viaggio?

12-18-2003, 11:43 AM
I was at the store looking at the Peg Viaggio and the Graco Snugride car seats last night... from comments in this forum, people have complainted that the Viaggio is too small, and their child tends to outgrow it within 3 to 4 months. Would this be especially true for Canada, especially if there is a puffy winter coat on the baby? I pointed this out to the salesperson, and she replied that you should NOT put a winter-coat on the baby before putting her into the carseat, but should buy some other 'bag' or blankets... it just seems strange... does anyone else here actually takes off the baby's winter coat before putting her into a car seat?

Has anyone used the Viaggio in Canada? My major concern is that my child will out-grow it too soon... I plan to keep the baby in the car seat for as long as possible, because it just seems so convenient to be able to carry her around as oppose to unstrapping her and putting her in a stroller.

Piglet
12-18-2003, 12:23 PM
Your post hit on a bunch of different issues, so off the top of my head:

1) I am SO amazed you had a salesperson knowledgeable enough to tell you about the no puffy jacket rule! I have never had a knowledgeable salesperson in any of my baby purchases.

2) Yes, the rule is "no puffy winter jackets". That having been said, I also have a very hard time getting my son in and out of the house in winter to a non-garage parked car without bundling him up. When he was an infant, we used a carseat cover that went around the outside of the carseat and a thinner snowsuit (fleece with a wind-proof layer), and always a hat! As he got bigger (he is 2 1/2 and 35 lbs. this winter), we put him in a proper snowsuit, but that is because he is a big kid, and we can cinch him in really snug.

I always think of it this way - when a baby is small, that extra layer of puffiness will add a LOT of bulk around the baby and will prevent the straps from holding the baby in; when the kids are bigger the extra layer of (moderate) puffiness will not add very much to their bulk. I think of myself and I am always wearing a big parka in winter - it just (sadly) doesn't add that much to my body dimensions, so the seat belt is holding me in properly. Of course I don't put a huge down-filled parka on DS. He is in a one-piece MEC snowsuit that is thin but warm and I am very anal about putting him in properly and snugly.

3) If you see the Viaggio as being a problem for size, then regardless of winter jackets, your baby might outgrow it fast. If the baby is big, then the car seat will have an even shorter life span, winter or not.

4) You might find that as nice as it is to have your baby in the infant seat when you go out 2 problems might arise - a) your baby might hate the car seat (mine did); b) it has been shown that it is a bad idea to keep babies in car seats when they are not in the car - do a search about plagiocephaly on the stroller/carseat boards for details.

5) I personally would not pick the Primo Viaggio becaue it REQUIRES a base to be used with it. The Graco/Evenflo/etc. can be used with a seatbelt alone - this makes it much more portable from car to car. I always had an issue that in case of emergency, I wanted to be sure that I could get me and baby home/doctor/etc. in ANY car on this planet - not just mine with the base. That is just personal preference, but it was huge for me.

Wow - what a novel I just wrote :)

Good luck,

12-18-2003, 02:44 PM
Maria,

Thanks a bunch for that reply! It raised a number of issues that I really haven't thought about... I guess its great to know that the Salesperson is actually knowledgable, because I was having second thoughts that she just wants to sell the more expensive car seat. With that being said, I guess the Viaggio isn't that bad, as I really like the plusher paddings (compared to the Snugride) and the coordinated colour schemes (with the Pliko P3). I also don't think I mind the base, as both me and my wife can drive, and I don't think I'll be transporting the baby in another car. The salesperson was also saying that the Viaggio is the safest car seat in the market (even compared to the Snugride), but I dunno, babybargains only gave it a B rating, and the Snugride got an A.

I feel so unprepared (baby due late Feb 2004), as I don't really know anything about plagiocephaly, or all the other potential harms I might put my baby in due to my ignorance... Thanks Maria, for your very informative post!

pamela mom of 3
12-18-2003, 03:11 PM
On the snowsuit, columbia makes a nice thin fleece bunting/snowsuit that i used with my son.

As to the perego try it in the car, i bought one but it went back as the boxy base wouldn't work in the car we had.

Oh and i agree i am shocked that the person knew about the puffy coats! :D

Good trick is put the child in the safety seat w/the snowsuit/coat get it all done up as snug as you would to go and then take the child out take off the snowsuit/coat and put them back in & see how lose the harness is now. That tell you quite a bit!

good Luck :)

http://pages.ivillage.com/cl-pamelamomof3

Piglet
12-18-2003, 05:17 PM
I am not sure about the "safest car seat" issue. They are all safe as long as they are installed correctly and the straps are done up tight. I have not heard any bad things about the Viaggio other than the base issue and the width at the seat. The Snugride is rated very well due to the value for the money, I think. It has a lower weight limit, which is a bit of a drawback, but it is pretty wide at the seat base.

Do consider what Pamela said, as well - if the car seat fits your car is a huge issue. If not, then no matter how much you like the seat, you're out of luck. Make sure the store has a good return policy and make sure you can try it out in your car.

Also, check out the discussions on the Car Seat board. They have some great people there. They will answer all your questions about car seat installation and fit.

Good luck! We were all just as unprepared before our babies were born. It comes with the territory! You will figure it out and you will come back on these boards as an "expert" to others that feel unprepared. Just think - you are doing so much more than the average parent, just by asking these types of questions on these boards, and by reading books like Baby Bargains.