PDA

View Full Version : Can I use US Graco car seats in Canada?

12-19-2003, 11:50 AM
I just found out how to attach the Snugride in a P3 from the car seat forum, and am now searcing for a Snugride. A number of parents had good experience with the Colbalt Blue Snugride (more cushion). I called a number of stores in Toronto, and they said that the Colbalt Blue model is not available in Canada due to Canada being a small market for Graco. I could order the seat online, but can I legally use that seat in Canada? I'm guessing that since Graco doesn't officially sell that seat here, it might not have been approved for Canadian safety standards.

The one that was recommended to me is a Diamond Quilt model (the best one the store has) that cost $189 (with a boot). This price seems high... almost to the Peg Viaggio level ($210). Does anyone know of any good baby stores in the Toronto area?

pamela mom of 3
12-19-2003, 01:36 PM
Tough call, best bet call transport Canada however really the only difference between the seat probably is the cover.

The transport canada website is
http://www.tc.gc.ca

HTH and GL :)

Oh other stores...hmmm dearborn in thornhill but that is more GTA...i'd call graco.

http://pages.ivillage.com/cl-pamelamomof3

12-22-2003, 03:05 PM
As an update, after yet another trip to the baby store (the salesperson must know me by name by now), I couldn't fit the Snugride into a Pliko P3 (even with the new instructions from the car-seat forum), so I ended up with a Peg infant seat instead. Also bought the Peg diaper bag that will hang on the P3's handles. Overall, I guess I was somewhat happy with the purchase, but I would still preferred the Snugride if it fit into the P3.

hipmaman
12-23-2003, 12:44 AM
That's too bad. I know it the snugride fit in the Pliko though. Have you tried reclining the P3 totally and then put the snugride in it facing either way for fit? I didn't think the P3 is narrower than the Pliko, so it's a bit puzzled that they don't fit together for you.

12-23-2003, 10:17 AM
I tried fitting it 2 ways, the first is just sitting the 'legs' of the infant seat on the P3's tray. This is a bit unstable, but seems OK. The only problem I have with this position is that the infant seat is not sitting at the right angle (shown by the balancing indicator on the infant seat).

The second method was suggested by someone who have managed to fit the Snugride in the P3, and it involves reclining the P3, opening up the tray, putting the snugride inside, and then locking the tray back up. After the put in the snugride, I couldn't close the tray (without the risk of busting the plastic tray).

I've given up on the snugride, and I'm at the point that I will accept having to move my baby in and out of the car seat/stroller everytime we go out... oh well!

hipmaman
12-24-2003, 03:35 PM
The Snugride might work with the P3 and the bumper bar! I know the P3 comes with the snack tray, but in Canada you can buy the bumper bar to replace the snack tray. Try the retailers if not try directly from Peg Canada in Pickering.

Good luck.