PDA

View Full Version : Hello folks!

Tequillacowgirl
12-23-2003, 09:58 PM
My name is Mary and I am expecting my first baby in April. I LOVVVVE this message board, I have learned so much already. So far I have been obsessing mostly about strollers, and even tried one at Lil Niblets, but there is a store on Bayview in Toronto that is bringing them in directly and they are cheaper. I don't know if thats what we will end up with...but...

My question is this...I read about this changing table called ShowerBABY..I think the website is: http://showerbaby.com
Anyway..has anyone seen it in Canada, it looks wonderful because it takes up very little space as we live in a condo, and can be folded up against the wall.....

Any help?

hipmaman
12-24-2003, 03:40 PM
Hi Mary,

Congratulations! It's exciting time getting ready for a baby.

The Showerbaby reminds me of those Rubbermaid one that you see in restaurants/malls/stores. I'm not sure where they are sold, but maybe if you email the Showerbaby people or ask small stores where owners ordered their own change tables, they would be able to give you some leads.

And what stroller did you try at Li'l Niblets? You didn't say. and which store on Bayview would sell 'the stroller you tried' for less? Do tell...

Tequillacowgirl
12-25-2003, 11:45 AM
Hi!
merry Christmas!

The store on Bayview is called Crayons and I was looking at the bugaboo frog..it costs the earth but it looks great for a condo plus all terain.

Any experience?

12-26-2003, 12:00 PM
I purchased a Peg P3 from Mother's Choice, its at the intersection of Kennedy and Ellesmere on the south-west side. The price of the P3 were the same at both stores, but I prefer Mother's Choice because I like their saleslady there - she gives seminars at the local police station on infant car seat installations and seems pretty knowledgeble.

12-29-2003, 02:36 PM
Hope this isn't too late...

I visited Li'l Niblets & Baby Sprouts (1692 Jane Street, Toronto, ON M9N 2S4 - 416-249-9881) this past weekend, and their stroller appears to be a bit cheaper than the other stores in the GTA (Mother's Choice, Dearborn, and Crayons). I bought my P3 and infant seat for $310 and $210 respectively, and saw the same stroller and infant seat for $300 and $200 respectively. They also had some nice cribs (not cheap - usually $500+) in the store when I was there.

Tequillacowgirl
12-29-2003, 07:52 PM
Thanks Avatar,
Thats where I first tried the Bugaboo, but it is slightly more expensive there than at crayons.

I have just heard of another store that I am going to try out called Play and Wear on Avenue Road south of Wilson, ever been?
Mary

12-30-2003, 05:16 PM
Opps... I guess not all strollers are cheaper at that store...
Haven't been to Play and Wear. Here's another store that someone recommended to me, its in Mississauga, and I haven't been there:
Child to Child
201 Britania Road,Mississauga
(905) 812-9633

Oh, I hope you picked up one of those free packages at Lil Niblets, there's a free new-born diaper in the package! Its hanging near the door below the bulletin board!

hipmaman
01-02-2004, 01:16 AM
Hi,

You definitely should do a search for posts on the Bugaboo or asking questions on the Stroller Forum. There are tons on it, including Q&As on using it in the snow.

As far as my personal comments go, there are two 'major' things that I would pay attention to...

1) The folding of the Bugaboo is in 2 pieces - the frame/chassis and the bucket seat/the bassinet - depending on what mode you are using it in at the moment. You mentioned living in a condo and space might be an issue. Unless you have it opened in the house, storing it folded means storing it with 2 pieces (not counting either the bassinet or the bucket seat when not in use).

2) The Bugaboo strikes me as a stroller suitable for babies younger than 1.5 or at the most 2 years old. There are two reasons for that thinking. One is that the length of the seatback is short and I have not seen it accomodate any average size babies/toddlers older than 2 yrs old. Two is that when babies are older and don't need all the features of the Bugaboo, you might find yourself wanting something more compact and easy to haul around (for example, a Maclaren umbrella stroller).

Good luck with your decision on the stroller. Btw, I didn't realise Crayons are into anything but Peg Perego ;) Good to know things are looking better in terms of baby gear in Canada.

Tequillacowgirl
01-02-2004, 11:11 AM
Hi you have raied some excellent points..do you have any other suggestions..I am looking for light weight with larger air tires? Plus reclines fully?

pamela mom of 3
01-02-2004, 03:24 PM
hmm have you ever looked into MB? -mountain buggy-

Either of their models terrain or urban are 19lbs or less, air wheels and recline fully or you can buy a carrycot.

I've seen other air tire options in Canada however they are always heavier. ie:perego prams, quinny

http://www.mountainbuggy.ca

Just a thought, i know they are not for everybody ;) but are what i like best :D

I still have not seen a bugaboo tho x( but maybe take an older child to try one out..you know "borrow" a kid lol

http://pages.ivillage.com/cl-pamelamomof3

http://smilies.crowd9.com/contrib/fk/flowerkitty.gif[/IMG]

Tequillacowgirl
01-03-2004, 11:23 AM
Good Morning..I have now found my newest obsession..the Inglesina Magnum..I saw it at Dearborn for 599. Its beeeeaaauutiful! But heavy...sigh. I saw the mountain buggies at Lil Niblets, they didnt look that comfortable for a small babe.

hipmaman
01-04-2004, 12:28 AM
Oh, the Magnum is very nice, but you'll be looking at the same thing as the Bugaboo though.

1) Two-piece fold (sorta, you can fold with the seat/bassinet attached but to make things more compact, you might have to remove the seat/bassinet from the frame, kwim?). If there is a bassinet, you need to store that bassinet when baby is too old for it and use the seat instead. At least the Bugaboo is more compact when folding. There is nothing compact about a pram like the Magnum (or any pram like that from any other manufactures like Peg Perego, Emmaljunga, etc.)

2) There is also the 'issue' of fixed-wheel of the pram. Some people love the fixed wheels, some learn to steer the pram and like the fixed wheels, some just plain detest them, kwim? Make sure to drive the Magnum with some weight in it, steer it around corners and imagining veering around crowded places like the mall and see how you like the fixed wheels.

3) An not to forget that eventually when baby is older, the pram becomes a bit cumbersome to be your only stroller and you might crave for a light-weight umbrella stroller again.

But I know what you mean a pram is so great and the Magnum is absolutely beautiful.