PDA

View Full Version : Installing carseats

Q
02-14-2004, 02:08 PM
I don't know if you've all seen the other forums on carseats. There's a big discussion on latching seats in the center position. I don't know if our cars have different standards. I have a Toyota rav 4 2002. It has the latch system but in the other forums they talk about them being only good for the outside positions. Anyoneone know about this? I've got mine (snugride)in the center and now I'm freaking out. We are buying the Marathon next, where do you tether the seat for rear facing?:o

hipmaman
02-15-2004, 09:25 PM
Hi,

Unless your car specifically has LATCH anchors for the centre rear position, the LATCH anchors you see in the rear seats are usually for the 2 outboard positions. In general, if you see only 4 LACTH anchors in the rear bench, then those are most likely for the outside position. If you see 6, then there is a set for the centre position. Your car manual should have the information on child safety seats, anchors, etc.

As for rear-tether, there is not an anchor built specifically for rear-facing tethering, so with Britax seats that you can rear-tether you can tether your Marathon to an unmovable part of the car. Most typically, we use the bottom rail of the vehicle front seat. Here is a good site for rear-tether your Britax seat http://www.angelfire.com/wa3/isakswings/ratetherrf.html

If you are unsure, find the nearest carseat clinic to have the installation looked over.

Q
02-15-2004, 11:51 PM
Thanks,
That was very helpful info! I can't beleive I've been driving around for 5 months with it in wrong! I'm so glad of this website.
Sue