PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about Gripe Water

ethansmom
03-03-2004, 09:14 PM
Hi Ladies,

I was visiting family in Toronto this weekend when DS vomitted (as opposed to spit up) for the first time. He's 10 months and has been teething, so I ended up giving him Gripe Water with great success. (I had spotted the box in the store earlier in the day and noticed it mentioned nausea due to teething.)

So, since this isn't sold in the States, I'm wondering if you use it, what your reservations are, etc. BTW, I used both the regular and alcohol free versions.

Many thanks!

Piglet
03-05-2004, 04:41 PM
I didn't know it could be used for nausea! Cool.

We used it all the time when DS was colicky. I don't know if it helped a lot, but it seemed to help a little. The active ingredients are fennel and dill usually, if I recall. I'll admit, we used the stuff with alcohol. It is such a small amount that it didn't bother me. We basically tried the one brand that was readily available (Shopper's Drug Mart - Life Brand), and didn't want to change it since it seemed to help a bit. I never tried any other brands. It is available in the States too, but harder to find. I recall someone said they found it in an ethnic (possible Indian?) grocery store, and others found it at health food stores. Here it is available in just about any pharmacy. No reservations here!