PDA

View Full Version : Westjet is SOOOOOO family-friendly!!!

KathyO
08-22-2004, 10:39 PM
Really, they rock. We flew out to see the IL's with a toddler and infant in tow. Pre-boarding was a dream, they were cool when we got confused and set ourselves up in the wrong seats, they moved the folks in the aisle seats to other locations so that we'd have more elbow room to manage the kids, they dropped by with a juice box to distract our toddler during takeoff... They were right on deck with a disposal bag any time we got up to do a diaper change, and they even found my restless toddler a couple of "safe" buttons to push back in the stewards' area, and let her stand on their jump seats and push them for twenty blessedly tranquil minutes.

On the way back, a boarding agent, completely unasked, (I love her and I want to marry her), persuaded three bulkhead passengers to give up their seats so that there would be more room for the toddler to play, and more room to recline the carseats properly and let the kids snooze.

We weren't the only ones benefiting from the kid-friendly atmosphere. There was a five-year-old flying unaccompanied, and I noticed the stewardesses playing games with him and giving him tidbits out of their lunches. I thought they were just being nice until I found out that he had been put on a 12-hour cross-continental flight with NO FOOD, NOTHING TO DO, and NO MONEY! (Who DOES that to a five-year-old????) Westjet is a discount airline, so they don't serve meals, so the stewardesses were digging into their own bag lunches to feed him. When we stopped over in Toronto, one of them was going to run the length of the terminal to buy him a proper dinner in the food court. I offered some cash to contribute, but they insisted that they had it covered. I did up a bag of snacks and toys and crayons out of the travel bag I had made up for my kids and passed it over. A short while later, I received a hand-addressed thank-you note in the mail from WestJet, detailing our contribution, and thanking us on behalf of the cabin crew.

I ask you - when was the last time you received a thank-you note from an airline?

Just had to share, and no, I don't own shares in the company!! (Although that's an idea, hmmmmm....)

KathyO

hipmaman
08-23-2004, 11:20 PM
Wow, that's good to know. We go out west often and have always taken AC. But now that WestJet flies more often, less stops, affordable, and I can collect airmiles, lol, I think I will seriously consider WestJet next time.

Kathy, how have you been? I haven't 'seen' you around much these days. I guess you have long joined the 'double' crowd eh?

Congrats and glad to 'see' you around.

Piglet
08-24-2004, 12:27 PM
We had an equally great experience last year on Westjet from Calgary to Montreal. We just got back last night from the same flight on JetsGo and while it was cheaper than anything I have ever seen, it was nowhere near the level of service of Westjet. I would choose Westjet over any other Canadian airline anyday (and they are generally very cheap, this trip to Montreal was a price fluke, I think).