PDA

View Full Version : Good Shopping in Toronto?

Piglet
11-05-2004, 10:45 AM
Hi All,

Part 2 of my Macklems question...

Is this the best place for stroller/baby gear shopping in Toronto? I am thinking of getting a double stroller (not completely convinced we need one given the age spread of DS and munchkin-to-be). I would like to check out any side-by-sides that are available, but I am pretty sure I will only find Maclarens (Combi is not available in Canada as far as I know). Are there any other places to shop other than Macklems? What about good consignment stores? Also, are there any good toy stores I should check out? I would like to bring something nice back for DS. Finally, what cool maternity stores are there? I should mention, we won't have a car, so I would prefer if these stores were accessible by transit.

Thank you all so much,
Marina

hipmaman
11-05-2004, 10:41 PM
Where are you staying though? The subway/bus system can get you to many places, but pretty much within the Toronto area. When it comes to the suburbs, it gets harder to get around by public transit.

Macklems is a good place to go. Li'l Niblets and Baby Sprouts is my other favourite store. I'm not sure what stroller selection Calgary have these days, but between these two, the have Macs, Bugaboo, Bebecar, Mountain Buggy, Silvercross, etc.

Outside of Toronto, there are stores that carry Inglesina, ABC, Phil & Ted's, Valco, etc.

There are many cool toy stores as well. Not sure what you are looking at though. I'm sure others that know Toronto more than I do should be able to help more. I know more about west of Toronto.

snowangel
12-05-2004, 08:03 PM
I don't like Macklems at all. I love Lil Niblets and Baby Sprouts and I also like DearBorn. There is another store in Woodbridge on Hwy 7 that carries lots of strollers too, but I forgot the name of it.

jujucb
12-06-2004, 01:30 PM
Is it Splendor Kids Superstore?

There is one on Keele St. too, but I think the Woodbridge store is bigger.

In March, Dearborn's sbs stroller selection was the Kidco LST5000. Inglesina Twin Swift (which I bought), Peg Perego Aria Twin and the Graco DuoRider (or whatever it's called). I can't remember if they carried Zooper or not, the Tango wasn't out yet, so I wasn't really looking for them. I think the Peg was the highest price at over $440.00. The Kidco and Inglesina at $400.00 and the Graco was around $200.00. Macklem's quoted the Twin Traveler at $650.00.

Sorry, my mind is drawing a blank, but if your two are going to be three years or more apart - I'd probably skip that traditional double. You could look at the Kiddy/Buggyboard option or single with doubles kit like the e3, Valco or ABC. Even Bertini has a toddler seat, but I think the first three are better for bigger kids.