PDA

View Full Version : Britax Roundabout not available in Canada?

jacolis
02-08-2005, 08:38 PM
Hi,

We really wanted to get a Roundabout for our 6 month old baby but then found out that we cannot get it in Canada. Only the Marathon is available. So, now we are debating between the Marathon, Cosco Omega and the Safety 1st Intera. Is the Marathon worth the $$. How do they compare safety-wise and for ease of use?

Consumer Reports rates the Omega at the bottom but the salesperson insisted it was as good quality-wise as the Marathon.

Thx.

hipmaman
02-08-2005, 09:23 PM
The Roundabout was the only Britax seat available in Canada prior to the Marathon being here (around 2002). But if you like the Roundabout, the Marathon is like a large Roundabout, so to speak. The same comfort, convenient and safety features found in the RA are pretty much in the MA as well.

As for comparing the MA to Cosco AOE and Safety 1st Intera, here are just a few things...

1) MA is the only convertible seat in Canada that can be used rf up to 33 lbs (the others are only to 30 lbs). The only convertible that can be used to 48 lbs (the others only to 40 lbs). This allows for extended usage, rf and ff

2) Not sure about the Safety 1st Intera, but if it's by Cosco, then the harness might be the same as the Cosco AOE. They are notoriously twisty. The MA straps are made of non-twisted webbing and have the HUGS to minimise chaffing. There is also a technical benefit to the HUGS but a big advantage since we do have to tether our carseats when ff in Canada.

3) EPS foam (energy absorbing foam as found inside bike helmets) in the MA. Don't think there are any in either one of the others.

4) Built-in lock-off on the MA. This is a definite plus if you have older vehicles or vehicles without lockable seatbelt. In these cases, you have to fumble to secure the metal locking clip on the seatbelt for the other seats, but you can easily use the built-in lock-off on the MA.

5) Easy to use harness adjuster. I find although the adjustor on the MA is not as nice as the RA, but still much easier to tighten then other non-Britax seats.

6) Easy to install and has a very small foot print to fit in many different vehicles.

7) The padding and fabric on the MA are better than the others. There are other things that is 'better' on the MA.

Anyway, the only 'advantage' that might be said of the AOE and Intera is that these 3-in-1 seats can be used from infancy (rf) to toddlerhood (rf and ff with harness) and to childhood (booster with vehicle's seatbelt). But just a caution there too... Technology and regulations change constantly (for the better) and personally I don't suggest buying a seat now with 6-7 yrs outlook. I'm sure by the time your child reaches the booster phase, there will be better seats available, your current might no longer comply to new regulations, your child have outgrown the seat and requires more appropriate seats, etc.

jujucb
02-09-2005, 12:33 AM
What Tam said :)

After using a lot of seats over the years, I have to say my Roundabouts are the easiest to install and use. I got the last few RAs in Canada when the twins finally outgrew their infant seats in January 2002 (RAs sold out in March). I couldn't wait any longer for the MA to come out. They came around the end of October/November that year. The RAs were 299.99, so the MA isn't too much more considering the longer use you'd get out of it.

I really wish I could've waited for the MAs though. I may get one to hand down the line once I sell off some more stuff. DD1 could start with it since she's too tall for most seats and not 40lbs yet. DD2 is a tall girl but only 30lbs and will outgrow the RA soon in height. So I'll need to shell out for another for her anyway. Ds is tiny and short in the torso, he may go to SK in his RA lol!

dd 06-99
b/g twins 03-02