PDA

View Full Version : Bad Baby Shack

francomama
03-18-2005, 05:00 PM
It's my first time joining a forum. Been a passive reader, but never took the step beyond until now. Just finished reading the posting "Canadian Baby Gear Survival Guide". Lots of great information and tips on where to get stuff. I wanted to make sure that no one else made the same mistake that I did and visit the Baby Shack in Whitby, much less spend any money there.

I have never in my life experienced such rudeness (just as I entered the door) and experienced such poor service. The owner (Mark ?) is just as was said in another posting "doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground". On a positive note, his staff are friendly and helpful. How they continue to work there is beyond my comprehension.

AVOID BABY SHACK AT ALL COSTS! There are other small retailers that deserve your money, even the big box guys like Toys R Us or Walmart are better options than Baby Shack.

jujucb
03-20-2005, 01:23 AM
I'll say it again - I HATE that store. And I'll throw in that all my neighbours feel the same way.

Ah, the stories I could tell about them. They involve me, my Mom and a friend all being banned from the store. All on separate occasions!

mamatomany
03-28-2005, 04:20 AM
baby shack has been problematic for many years.. Mark has interesting interpersonal skills.. I suspect hes not the greatest communicator and this can be interpreted as being rude.

I have extensive experience with the store being local to it and have purchased several high end items from him.. the key is you need to be just as "off the cuff" and assertive right back at him.

Rumours abound over the years about him personally..hard to say, I have been pretty forward in demanding the kind of service I want from him on severaL occassions and he will end up helping you if your firm.. but alas it should not be this way.

jujucb
03-28-2005, 08:36 AM
I hear what you are saying. I know my Mom and a couple of friends are a little hot tempered and that doesn't work well with Mark.

I worked in car sales for years and dh's family is Italian. I know how deal with non-communicators and to to be straight forward when it comes to what I want from a retailer/service provider ;) It's one of the reasons 1 I was banned from the store lol!

The second was because he tried to tell me I could use a Graco aftermarket LATCH strap on my old Britax seats. I corrected him and said that you can't and the reasons why. No one else was in the store, so it wasn't like I was making a scene.

I'd rather drive a little further to not have to work so hard for my purchase KWIM?

debsw
03-28-2005, 01:54 PM
I am not a big fan of this store. There are better stores in the GTA, where the staff are friendlier, nicer, more understanding and know their products very well. Unfortunately, Baby Shack is not one of these stores. I would definately travel a little further for better quality service.