PDA

View Full Version : OT: NY Times editorial 3/21

psophia17
03-30-2005, 09:37 PM
Did anyone see this editorial?

The morning paper had a letter in it ripping Americans to shreds that really upset me, and FIL tells me that some NY Times editorial from the past few days was equally scathing about Canadians, but I can't find the editorial online without paying to get to see it.

Has anyone out there got the text?

Thanks!

darby24
03-31-2005, 02:06 AM
From what I understand it wasn't published in the NY Times rather it was something called The Weekly Standard. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Just going to give the link;
http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/005/349tpijp.asp

I don't even dare to comment.

psophia17
03-31-2005, 04:52 PM
Yikes! Well, now I understand why the guy who wrote to the local paper was so upset, although I don't quite get why he wrote to a paper that didn't even publish the article, and I don't think he read the entire article...

But I must say, I honestly don't get the whole American-Canadian rivalry, and having read the entire article twice, I don't see the big uproar about what the author wrote. The article as a whole seems very pro-Canada while mocking Americans and their reasons for defecting. Even the intro doesn't bash Canada, it bashes Americans who give credence to the stereotypes.

In all seriousness - has any Canadian using these boards ever been personally offended by an ignorant American? I know that as an American living in Canada, I get mocked for being American all the time, both by people I know well and by people who I've just met. I see the whole rivalry as very one-sided...but maybe that's just me...