PDA

View Full Version : Poll -- What baby gear/products do you wish you could buy in Canada?

bubbaray
07-24-2005, 07:19 PM
DH and I were talking about this today. I'm just wondering what others wish they could buy in Canada??? As in things that aren't available here, not things that are more expensive here than in the US.

I would like to be able to see an i'Coo stroller IRL and ditto for the new Teutonia strollers and Bebeconforts (a Loola in particular).

I also wish we had a better selection of Britax car seats here.

Melissa

Maya Papaya!
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040411/3/4/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]

Piglet
07-24-2005, 09:23 PM
You know, if you had asked this question 6 months ago or a year ago, I would have given you a list as long as my arm. Now, things have changed unbelievably! I would have wanted Gap Maternity, but lo and behold it is on its way to a mall nearby. I would have wanted Quinny, but they are available at Sears of all places. I would have wanted Combi (Sears) and Maclaren (the Bay). In Calgary right now, you can buy a Stokke Explory, Bugaboo, Valco, Phil & Teds, Mountain Buggy, Bebecar, Zooper, Peg Perego and all the other more mainstream brands. When I had DS1, you could buy a Peg if you were lucky and everyone would look at you funny for asking for somthing other than Evenflo and Graco. I ended up buying strollers off StrollerSWAP. Now, the strollers I can buy locally are so desirable, people are asking us to send them to the US! The prices are even reasonable. The 2005 Volo is $135 on sale, which is on par with $99US, pretty much. We used to have to deal with duties, shipping, brokerage, etc. and often paid twice as much as the Americans for the same product. This is as good as it gets! I lusted after a Teutonia for a long time, but am so happy that I bought my Bebecar Tracker instead. I finally got to play with a Teutonia and wasn't impressed. Car Seats are another issue - they are lacking, but a lot of that has to do with crash testing. In due time, I bet we will get more selection as well. I guess what it comes down to is that we are finally getting heard by the manufacturers. We have so many more products available now than we had before. If we continue demanding better products, we might get them too - that is pretty cool!

jujucb
07-25-2005, 08:12 AM
As my kids are getting older and more items seem to be making it up here; I think my list is getting smaller lol!

One would be more Britax options and/or that they'd release things faster. I hear the RA, Parkway and Companion are supposed to be coming. I think the Parkway may be here by the end of the year (original date was last June). Of course I also wish Transport Canada would get with the times and allow for harness weights to go beyond 48lbs.

My second wish would be more baby and toddler food choices. And is it just me, or are the choices for baby foods getting worse? I swear we had more flavours just 2yrs ago.

I wish stores that are now plentiful up here like The Gap and Old Navy would have online shopping for us. I hate having to call or drive around to get the items I want.

pamela mom of 3
07-25-2005, 04:00 PM
Better selection of carseats! we still are lacking in choice in this area, strollers have gotten alot better and even accessory wise we have many choices now at high end baby shops.

Really my major ones right now would be better kid clothing stores! like hanna, naartjie etc..etc

darby24
07-26-2005, 12:29 AM
Broken record here, I agree with the lack of selection of car seats and clothing. There's only so much Gap and Old Navy a kid can have. And I still get excited when I see a Britax around here!

If on-line sales to Canada were more readily available (and/or cheaper) that would be a plus as well :D

psophia17
07-27-2005, 10:57 PM
I'm with everyone else on the car seat front - I did my first round of car seat shopping in the States, and when we moved up here the selection was so disappointing...I still look out for the car seats, and it annoys me to no end when I see people using the poorly rated/reviewed seats, which also tend to be the affordable ones.

Also the baby food - there is so much less available here than in the States. I made most of DS's food, but except for cereal, none of what we used in the States was available here, and there was nothing similar. I can't remember names off the top of my head, but there were a bunch of things that baby mum mums just couldn't replace.

As far as baby clothes go, I'm not too picky with DS's wardrobe, and have had tons of luck with The Real Canadian Superstore. The prices are good, the quality is great, and the cotton stuff doesn't shrink.