PDA

View Full Version : FPSE Question

pink_butterfly
08-07-2005, 08:34 PM
We were fortunate enough to get three FPSE carseats (my parents have one) for my son who is now almost three...we love them. He's average height and weight (~50th percentile for both).
For those of you with the FPSE carseats, at what age did your children graduate to a booster seat. Did you find that they outgrew the seat for height before they reached 40 lbs. I know that every child is different, I just don't know if the FPSE slots are lower than newer seats on the market today.

I'm also in the market for at least one new seat because my daughter will move to a convertible seat in the next few months. I'd love to get the Marathon but the price is steep.
Does anyone have an opinion on some of the new (at least I think they're new) seats on the market by Evenflo and Safety 1st.

Sorry for the long post but I've been obsessing over carseats lately!

Thanks
L

hipmaman
08-07-2005, 09:14 PM
Hi,

The FPSE is a very nice seat, but unfortunately, it also has one of the shortest seatbacks that I know of. So kids do outgrow it in height before weight.

For all children in Canada, you can only be in booster when the child reaches 40 lbs. All boosters in Canada only start at 40 lbs and up. In addition, the law is to have children 40 lbs and under in harnessed carseats.

The other thing is that many children don't have the maturity to sit properly and up straight in a booster without slumping, slouching, leaning sideways or forward, etc. So for safety reasons, many children are being put into the carseat/booster combination seats so they don't have to be in booster when they are not ready.

These carseat/booster seats have 5-pt harness until 40, 47 or 48 lbs and then converted into booster to be used with vehicle's lap-and-shoulder belt thereafter. Graco CarGo seats go to 48 lbs with harness, Evenflo Chase/Vision/Traditions go to 47 lbs and the 3-in-1s such as Safety First, Cosco, Eddie Bauer go to 40 lbs.

I assume your son is ff and between 20-40 lbs, so one of these carseat/booster combo seats would be a better seat for him than a booster-only seat.

darby24
08-07-2005, 09:26 PM
My just turned three year old nephew is just outgrowing it by height. He's technically *just* at the top slots, so I best get my butt in gear. He's not in my car too often, as we trade vehicles with my sister if I'm having both kids (I only have one carseat.) Sorry I don't know what percentile he is, he's tall and skinny though at least 40" the last time we measured.

One thing to consider before buying your daughters new seat is when were your FPSEs manufactured? I bought my FPSE in May '02, but it was made in December '99 (new in a sealed box). From the top of my head, I think FP gives a 8 year life on their seats which means my seat will expire in '07.

I can't say anything bad about the Marathon besides the price. The quality is amazing and since you're familiar with the FPSE, you'll understand how nice it is to have built in lock offs, the eps foam and all the other stuff.

Sorry I have to experience with the new seats that you mentioned.

Good luck with your choice, welcome to the carseat obsessing club!

Piglet
08-08-2005, 05:12 PM
Hopefully not a dumb question, since DS is in a FPSE as well... when is it "outgrown"? He is already 4 years old and still has room to grow, as far as I can tell. His ears are not at the seat back yet and he seems to fit the harness as well. He is very average in build, and is probably going to outgrow the seat by weight before height (ped appt. is on Wednesday - I have no idea what he weighs, LOL). I am not sure if mabe I am missing something. DS2 needs the seat within the month anyway, but I thought we were still okay with DS1.

Thanks,

hipmaman
08-08-2005, 06:55 PM
He outgrows his FPSE if:

- he exceeds the weight limit for ff at 40 lbs
- the top of his ears is above the top of the carseat when ff OR
- the harness slots are below the shoulders when ff

Piglet
08-09-2005, 05:04 PM
Amazingly enough, he still fits by a little bit on all counts. He is nearing the weigh limit and his ears/shoulders are close to the limits, but so far so good. I got an MA for DS2, so we are finally ready to move everyone around. I have been SO happy with the FPSE - I hope the MA won't disappoint, LOL!

pink_butterfly
08-09-2005, 07:48 PM
Thanks everyone for the great info.
L