PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated by Transport Canada re: RF Car Seats

Piglet
09-06-2005, 11:57 AM
I was just reading a discussion on another message board about when to turn kids forward facing and was stunned when a woman from BC said that the rules are "generally" to wait until a year, but her ped recommended that she turn FF because her DC's legs were smushed against the seat back. I immediately went to Transport Canada hoping for a better guideline, so that I could post to the discussion (and hopeflly convince the OP that kids need to stay RF as long as possible - which is what every other poster was saying other than the Canadian). What I found on Transport Canada really ticked me off...

They say "about a year" or "generally until a year" ... WTF??? No! It should be "at least a year". I thought they would get with the program, but no such luck.

Here is the link:
On FF: http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/tp/tp13511/stage2.htm
On RF: http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/tp/tp13511/stage1.htm

I am SO ticked off! I hope that they are updating their info and if the aren't, we should write to them or do something to get them to change their info. This is our own government and they are spreading misinformation.

Ugggghhhh!

hipmaman
09-06-2005, 09:03 PM
I understand you frustration. We have been dealing with the same issue for as long as I remember.

We definitely say at least 1 yr old AND 20 lbs. Trained by St. John Ambulance with materials 'approved' by a panel of experts/authorities including TC.

If it would help to lend a perspective of a certified tech, let me know. [email protected]

mizzum
09-07-2005, 04:43 AM
Hi,

Here in the UK almost everyone and I mean like 99.5% rear face "around" 20lbs. I went to a store a few months ago to look at one of only 2 convertible seats on the market here and the car seat "expert" told me to just get a ff seat that would become a booster or something. I told him my boys are only 17/18lbs and he said "that is close enough"! Needless to say I didnt buy from that store. My twin boys are now 13 months and will be rf until they reach the seat limit.

Can you please tell me what the rules are regarding tethering in Canada? We are moving over in 2 months and not sure if you have to tether or not.

By the way, a tech on a car seat safety group told me that THE person who tests car seats in Canada has retired and the position hasnt been filled! So basically no new car seats for a while. Dont know if it is true or not.

Mizzum

torontomom
09-07-2005, 11:55 AM
deleted...

jujucb
09-07-2005, 12:51 PM
Tethering for all ff seats is required across Canada. Rf tethering a Britax seat is still gray. Tam would know more about this. I think TC doesn't like it, but Britax strongly encourages it.

hipmaman
09-07-2005, 08:56 PM
>
>Can you please tell me what the rules are regarding tethering
>in Canada? We are moving over in 2 months and not sure if you
>have to tether or not.

FF tethering is mandatory and is law in Canada. RF is optional as it is NOT law.

Britax highly encourages rf tethering for various reasons. TC and those indoctrinated by it ;) tend not to like rf. But legally, you are within your right to rf if you wish and no one can tell you that it's unsafe or illegal. The MA meets CMVSS safety standard and can be rf, said the Britax manual and the CMVSS-certified sticker on the MA.

What you might find is that techs will either tell you something they know nothing about (rf tethering, I mean) or fib on something they know next to nothing about, or tell you that you would be risking your child's life if you rf tether, etc.

In general, techs are not allowed to rf tethering (liability for something they don't know) and you can do that yourself.

>
>By the way, a tech on a car seat safety group told me that THE
>person who tests car seats in Canada has retired and the
>position hasnt been filled! So basically no new car seats for
>a while. Dont know if it is true or not.

Who is THE person test carseats? Do you mean someone in TC that reads and interpretes the test results? In N. America, carseat manufactures test the seats and send in the results for certification. It's not like Europe where the government does both testings and certifying.

Hey, there might be a job for me! Too bad, I'm not willing to move back to Ottawa and brave the cold anymore, lol

mizzum
09-08-2005, 09:15 AM
Hi,

No idea about the testing thing- somone on a car seat group i joined spoke to a contact at TC and they said that the person who did the testng had retired and no one had filled the position yet. Maybe it is the person who reads the results? I just thought it sounded so weird.

I have twins and we will be buying a 3 row minivan when we come over- what is the safest configuration for the seats? Both outboard in one row or one in the middle of 2 separate rows?

Mizzum

hipmaman
09-08-2005, 10:12 PM
I would put the twins in the 2 captain chairs.

And when you buy a minivan, make sure additional tether anchors can be added or that it comes with more than 3 anchors. At some point, you might need to move the twins to the back bench and use captain chairs for other passengers or other kids. It helps to have more than 3 anchors and gives flexibility in configuring the seats.