PDA

View Full Version : We should start a thread on Canadian SALES!

snowangel
09-15-2005, 10:39 AM
I am always so jealous of the girls on Reality Layette sharing their sales at American stores.

Why don't we start sharing Canadian sales on this thread?

I am assuming everyone got the flyer for the Baby Sale at Toys R Us this week. They have the FP infant to toddler rocker for $20 if you spend $100 or something. A great deal! Plus, the Jolly Jumper boppys are on for $20 and all the Lamaze toys are on sale too.

Please share your sale finds here :)

From, Melanie

Piglet
09-16-2005, 09:54 AM
Well the Hanna code is on until September 25 and they ship to Canada (and calculate duty and taxes at checkout).

TRU does have some great prices right now.

The Gymbo coupon on RL seems to be valid in Canada as well (Circle of Friends 30% off).

I have recently fallen in LOVE with Costco Kirkland Diapers. I swear they are made by Huggies. We used to buy Huggies and have since switched and haven't had a leak in a month.

If looking for sales on electronics, coupons and other deals, go to www.redflagdeals.com My DH is addicted to the site. I found it last year when I needed a coupon code. Now it is the first site DH goes to when he gets online.

Happy spending,

darby24
09-16-2005, 10:13 PM
Found in my new catalogue. Apparently it's good for shipping specifically within Canada.

LL 2631800

expires January 1/06

psophia17
09-17-2005, 12:27 AM
Sweet! I just got my first LLBean catalog in Canada - but I'm not sure if the prices listed are in US or Cdn funds...does anyone know?

darby24
09-17-2005, 12:47 AM
American. Always American.

psophia17
09-18-2005, 11:56 AM
poop :(

Are there any similar companies that have catalogues priced in Cdn funds?

Piglet
09-19-2005, 10:17 AM
Just Mountain Equipment Co-op www.mec.ca (and Canadian Tire and Sears, LOL).

What is everyone thinking of ordering from LLBean?

I like the kids outerwear, but don't need anything. As an aside, I LOVE the snow suits at Winterco. They fit very big, so my 4 year old is a size 2. If you have one near you, check it out.

I also like the men's wrinkle free shirts, but I just got a flyer from Marks Work Wearhouse and they have wrinkle free shirts and they are very well priced.

Am I missing something at LL Bean?

snowangel
09-23-2005, 09:14 AM
I bought my husband some of those wrinkle free shirts from Marks Work Warehouse and so far I am loving them! I also got myself a couple of striped tees and long sleeved tees, very Hanna-esk.

Marks Work Warehouse is having a "Ladies Night" on the evening of Sept. 30 with sales etc.

Someone mentioned diapers. I LOVE the Teddy's Choice from Loblaws. They just changed the pattern on them and they are really cute :)

Melanie

Piglet
09-23-2005, 11:40 AM
We went to Marks this week and I saw the tops you are talking about - my first reaction was that they looked like Hanna, LOL! We bought 2 shirts for DH - I hope they launder as well as they claim to. I am such a bad iron-er. I usually dry clean DH's shirts simply because I hate ironing so much. If these shirts from Marks are good, I will switch to them exclusively - they are a bargain compared to dry cleaning costs.

Other sales... baby food has been cheap at Wal-mart and Safeway around here (Calgary). Heinz Organics is around $0.40-$0.43 at those stores. Needless to say, I bought WAY too much!

Winners - I could post an entire essay on how much I love this store. They have these cute baby shoes that are total Preschollians knock-offs. They have a window at the toe and are VERY flexible. They also have a baby girl's dress that would match Hanna LoveABug prefectly. I almost bought it just in case I ever had a girl. It is royal blue (or red, I don't remember) with red (or was it blue)and white striped sleeves. It has these cute bugs embroidered on the bottom that look so much like Hanna! Go check it out if you have girls in the 1-3 age range.

snowangel
09-23-2005, 03:16 PM
Marina,

You are lucky. Our Winners here has nothing like that stuff, little or no baby dresses! I swear they must put the cute stuff out and then its GONE. I don't have the patience to check there once a week. I wish our local Winners had better stock darn it! People rave about Winners, but I just don't have good luck there.

I agree. If these non-iron shirts wash well, I am switching DH over exclusively. There must be other stores that sell non-iron shirts too. I must have a look around. Maybe Sears?

From, Melanie

funlover
09-25-2005, 11:28 PM
Are there any sales in Canada at all?? Everywhere I go is darn expensive stuff and no real variety.why is everything so outdated here? I have to order everything for my DD from US and beg my sister to bring it over to save on the crap duty fees.....I absolutly hate it but there is just no way other than to sulk over all the US deals they get there...

Piglet
09-26-2005, 10:26 AM
I see sales all over the place. You just have to look for them. I shop at Winners a lot because their prices are so much cheaper and they have unique outfits. I admit that I have not shopped at the Bay or Sears in years - that says a lot about the state of the department stores in Canada, because I shop a little too much elsewhere but haven't been impressed with their clothes for anyone in the family. I shop at the Gap (they even have Gap Maternity in Calgary finally), but only buy things that are on sale - I haven't paid full price for anything in the last 5 years, I think. Their sales are great and their return policy is the best in the business, so I buy tons of stuff and return as needed. I always stock up on Boxing week and then over the next year I return stuff that didn't work out - as long as the tags are attached and you have your receipt they take it all back, no questions asked. I recently found Reitmans - they have very nice outfits this season (their stock is very hit and miss with me, so I am thrilled that this season is a hit). They have petite and plus size and their prices are very reasonable. Last week I even shopped at Walmart for me! I really liked some of the George outfits.

I guess what I am trying to say is that you can get by very nicely in Canada. It's not like we all walk around naked, LOL. I don't sulk about US deals. Yes, there are a few stores that have great deals that I have had shipped from the US via my cousin, but generally, we aren't missing out on that much. I find the quality and price at MEC to be very comparable to LandsEnd or LLBean. I got DH shirts at Marks Work Wearhouse and they were way cheaper than the comparable catalogue shirts. I shop at Hanna Andersson whenever there is a sale and I accept the duty as part of the price (I only shop when there is a code, so the discount usually negates the duty and it is easier to stomach). I guess, I am coming from a time when there was NOTHING in Canada a few years ago and am SO happy with the current state of things - it can only get better and we have made huge strides!

funlover
09-26-2005, 05:10 PM
Have you ever been able to.. get the following in Canada for these prices..

Buy a gap maternity sweater for $4.97?

Ralph Lauren Polo Rompers for 4.99?

Tommy Hilfiger shirts for 5$ a pc both for son and DH

Nike Addidas and Reebok jackets,pants for 6$ a pc...

Ralph Lauren polo chino shirts for Men at 12$ a pc...

Catimini and Baby Lulu for 8$ a pc!!!!!!! I got 10 dresses for DD

last year at TJ max in the US!

Express and Limited Dresses for 9.99 a pc?

The list goes on and on.......
There is Just no comparison....The deals you can get in the US are in NO WAY comparable to the prices here!

Guess I am too negative but seriously I don't understand why everything is so inferior and expensive here.All I can do is Beg and beg my sister all the time to buy things for me...

Piglet
09-26-2005, 11:39 PM
Winners is part of the TJMaxx group of stores, so I have had great luck on lots of name brand items. Just today, I found Elefanten and Naturino baby shoes for under $20 CDN.

I am not saying that we have it all, but I will pay a little more for my clothes and get 1 year of paid mat leave any day. I find it pretty sad that you think that everything is so inferior and expensive here. My kids are dressed very well and I do not break the bank on their clothes. Personally, I never go for big names in fashion (TH or RL) - I don't find the quality to be that much better or the style to be that much cuter. I buy things that I deem stylish, comfortable, cute, etc.

I love Canada and have no desire to be a mini-US. I appreciate the great stuff we can buy here and accept that the prices are not always the same. I do go to the US once a year and shop at Target, but I never lament the lack of cute, affordable baby clothes around here.

I am sorry you are so ticked off with the state of Canadian retail, but when you consider all the things we can and should be grateful for, retail isn't such a big loss.

darby24
09-27-2005, 12:12 AM
>Am I missing something at LL Bean?

Nah, I just like catalogues! :P

My nephew has a LLBean jacket (it's the only llbean item in all our family). Last year they went on sale for something like $20 shipped. It held up perfectly, lasted him through the year and looks like new. That was worth it.

No purchasing this year, I've not seen one good deal.

Winterco? Is this the name of a store? I've never heard of it.

Piglet
09-27-2005, 10:36 AM
Hmmm... it seems they might only be in Calgary. They are locally owned, but I somehow thought they were a national chain. They had problems in 2000 or so and went bankrupt but there was such a demand for their stuff when they were liquidating that another company came and bought them out and has been carrying awesome winter wear, just as good if not better than the original company.