PDA

View Full Version : car seat recommendation

aza
10-22-2005, 09:36 PM
I am looking for a car seat for my 6 month old baby who will soon outgrow his infant car seat. Britax car seats seem to be the best but a bit too expensive. Can you recommend a good and safe car seat for a baby who is likely to be tall (like his parents)?

I have been looking at the Eddie Bauer car seats at the store today but there is too much negativity about them in the posts.

Alex

bubbaray
10-22-2005, 10:37 PM
Hopefully Tam will see this and give you some ideas. But, I'm pretty sure that of the convertible seats on the Canadian market, the Britax Marathon has the highest slots (which is one of the key features if you expect a tall child).

We have a Graco ComfortSport and a Britax Marathon. The Britax is just SUCH a better seat, it really IS worth the extra money. We wish we had bought two MA's because the CS is such a cheap seat in comparison.

As for safety, all the seats have to pass the same safety testing, so "in theory" they should all be of equal theory. I don't know if I actually buy that theory myself, but I've been told that at three different car seat inspections I've been to.

FWIW, the Britax is super easy to install (at least in the cars we've had it in, an Acura sedan, a Nissan Pathfinder and a Honda Odyssey). The straps are really easy & smooth to use and adjust. Our DD has always seemed much more comfortable in that seat too (she sleeps longer in it than in the ComfortSport). Those things are all very subjective, but when you are trying to get a grumpy toddler into the seat when they most definitely do NOT want to be in that seat, you will be extremely thankful for straps that adjust easily!

Anyway, hope you find some answers to your question here and happy shopping!

Melissa

Maya Papaya!
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040411/3/4/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]

jujucb
10-23-2005, 06:59 AM
Trying not to get too wordy ;)

Dorel Juvenile Group makes Cosco, Safety 1st and Eddie Bauer seats. They re-use the shell, harness and adjusters. They just slap different covers and prices on them. Some complaints they have addressed are the flimsy, twisty harness straps and hard to use adjusters. Although not non-twist or super smooth like Britax, they are easier to use than before. And I dare say, easier to use than Evenflo and Graco seats. The other complaints, they seem to ignore. Low slots (most models), so seats are outgrown too early. They currently don't offer a higher weight seat like Britax, Evenflo and Graco do. Because of these complaints, their all-in-one seat's claims of being the only/last seat you'll need fall very short. They also don't make good boosters. The Intera is their nicest all-in-one seat from what I've read. But it's still love/hate though.

*I* think their best offering is their basic convertible seats. All based on the Touriva 5pt. For a convertible it has tall slots and decent back height. Other than Britax, it is a very compatible seat and easier to use (especially rf) than Evenflo or Graco. The $130.00 Safety1st ComfortRide at Sears is my best pick for a seat at a good price and decent cover. The EB cover is nicer, but over-priced when you consider all the shared components. After this, you'll probably want to move to an Evenflo or Graco combination seat with higher slots and harness weight. They run $120-170.

If you can increase your budget somehow. The Britax Marathon ($350) with it's tall slots and 48lbs weight limit is the only seat you'll need to get through to booster age. The Roundabout is $50-70.00 less and has all the same features as the MA. EPS foam, built-in lock-offs, rf tether, non-twist straps and smooth adjusters. From my experience, the RA is about the same size as the Touriva. So you'll still need a combo seat at some point.

Good luck finding the right seat for you. And so much for not getting wordy lol!

Typing with a 6yo and 3.5yo twins!