PDA

View Full Version : Calgary

lovemaggie
11-17-2005, 03:47 PM
hi,
Any mom from Calgary or familiar with Calgary? Can you introduce some neighborhoods good for family with kids? I think by good means good school district, lower crime, not too far from downtown calgary, and reasonable housing price.
Thanks very much for the help.

Piglet
11-17-2005, 03:58 PM
Hi,

I am in Calgary and have lived here for over 20 years. Email me and I can give you some detailed info on where we live and other nice neighbourhoods. I don't want to post on the board because I don't want to give out personal info.

segal dot marina at gmail dot com

Neatfreak
11-18-2005, 02:41 PM
I've only lived here for five years, so I probably won't have as much to say. Calgary is funny - I am not sure if there is a neighbourhood close to downtown with lower crime and reasonable housing prices and schools. To find a neighbourhood that had a reasonable commute and decent housing prices, we're about 20 - 30 minutes away from downtown. There are lots of schools here, and they're completely full because students are bussed in here from the newer communities that currently do not have any schools (but those communities tend to have a much lower crime rate - DH and I figure it's because it's too far away away to go for a B&E or to snatch a car). It's really a catch-22, IMO. If a person want a new house in an area where there are lots of other young families, there is a good chance one will have to give up living near a school ... argh!

Have you looked at www.mls.ca to get an idea on housing prices? In the Calgary section it's possible to query individual neighbourhoods.

lovemaggie
11-21-2005, 10:00 AM
Thanks very much for the input. I think we"ll have to trade school approximaty with better communities. And 20-30 minutes are close enough to downtown.
I"ll check out the website.
Happy Holiday.
-Maggie