PDA

View Full Version : Sigh - snowsuit time??

EllasMum
09-18-2006, 12:05 AM
We just had our first snowfall, and although it didn't quite get cold enough for a snowsuit, it got me thinking about what to do about a snowsuit for the winter. Last winter, when DD was a young baby, I picked up a very good used Jupa one-piece snowsuit at a second-hand store, and it was great. Easy to get in and out, warm, gorgeous color, but I don't think it's going to fit her this winter. I went back to the same second-hand store but their selection was very limited. They did have a few Jupa one-pieces but they seemed to start at size 2 which looked way too big for DD. Where do you get your snowsuits or winter jacket/snowpants from - and why do you like it? I'm going to keep my eye on the second-hand place but I'd like to have some other options for good, warm (and hopefully inexpensive - or at least on sale!) winter wear! (I know, it seems too soon to think about that - but alas, we must!!) :)

TIA,
Susan

pampamz
09-18-2006, 08:23 AM
I just bought a winter coat & snow pant set from Winners. I've been waiting for their winter stuff to come in and this past weekend they finally had a good selection for 18-24 size stuff.

My set was $59.00.

EllasMum
09-18-2006, 12:32 PM
Aha! Thank you - I always forget about Winners! And they just opened a brand new store just blocks from me. I'll check out their stock!
Thanks!

Neatfreak
09-19-2006, 10:30 AM
My DD's suit is from MEC. We got her a one-piece in 2T for last winter, and it was big, but still wearable for playing in the snow because the arm and foot openings were ribbed. I think it should fit her this winter, as well (but better!).

Piglet
09-19-2006, 11:51 AM
We also love the MEC snowsuits. Pricey, but so well made and so warm! It is funny - if you look at the Reality Layette board I am the only one that advocates a 1-piece whenever the question comes up. Everyone else likes 2 piece suits better. I think it comes down to temperature - when it is cold like it is in Canada, you don't want to deal with 1) the gap between the 2 pieces and 2) the time it takes to put both pieces on. In warmer places they don't have to put their kids in snowpants every day, for me it is a necessity so 1-piece works better.

mizzum
09-19-2006, 12:42 PM
Eeek where do you live to have snow already? I am still in tshirts here north of Toronto.

I am so annoyed, I found Columbia Little Matterhorn one piece suits half price in the US but the store doesn't accept Canadian credit cards, even for shipping to a US address (my aunt).

So I am off to Winners or to look in Ebay.I have twins so it is expensive.It is our 2nd winter in Canada and they just turned 2.We didnt go out much last year but I am hoping/assuming they will more this year.

Mizzum

Laundraholic
09-19-2006, 01:58 PM
Hi... just wondering what happens when you try to input your Canadian credit card number?

Is it just the billing info that won't allow for a Canadian address?
I've had things shipped to my aunt who lives stateside from websites that don't ship to Canada (eg Target, Gap, Old Navy, babystyle) and when it asks for a billing address I just input my aunt's US address. Esp with Gap, where on the website it says that for verification reasons your billing address must exactly match the address where your credit card is sent.
Although with Gap and Babystyle it took a bit longer for them to "confirm" the order before shipping it out (I think in both cases it took just under a week before they actually shipped out my order), they did accept my credit card.

Just a FYI -- if you really want that item from that US website, it doesn't hurt to try again =)

EllasMum
09-19-2006, 08:32 PM
Calgary! We had snow for about a day and a half but then it all melted and was back up to 12 degrees. Ha ha - "up to 12 degrees" - OMG I hate saying that! At least the weather is so-so for this week. When we were having our snow, my friend was in Winnipeg and she said they were sweltering in 30 degree heat. Good week to go out of town! :)

bubbaray
09-19-2006, 11:19 PM
I get snow gear for DD at Target in the US. That d/n help you much if you are in Calgary (I'm 15 minutes from the US border, another 15 minutes from there to Target, including stopping at Starbucks). We only need snowgear for when we go to ski hills, so I don't spend much money on it for DD. If I lived in a place where we got snow, I'd go with the MEC snow gear. It is really nice, but not justifiable for the amount of use DD would (not) get out of it here.

Happy shopping!

Melissa

http://b3.lilypie.com/rppJm7/.png[/img][/url]

http://bd.lilypie.com/SasRm7.png

mizzum
09-20-2006, 12:46 PM
Melissa can I come be your live in nanny? You won't even notice dh and the boys!

You know i never thought to try my credit card anyway because i did that last week on a site and it wouldn't accept it.My nice Aunt ordered it for me so i am going to send her a cheque.

We were lucky our first winter here was so mild.I was expecting a hum dinger this year but i read the other day that an El Nino has developed and if it gets strong enough that we should be in for a mild winter.

Lynn

bubbaray
09-20-2006, 04:30 PM
Hehehe!

Some US sites take Canadian cards, even if the site says they don't. It really is hit & miss. The sites are supposed to verify your stated billing address with that the CC company has on file for you. I tried to have a secondary US address attached to my CC's -- it worked for one (American Express I think) and not the other (Visa -- or was that the other way around?!).

HTH
Melissa

http://b3.lilypie.com/rppJm7/.png[/img][/url]

http://bd.lilypie.com/SasRm7.png