PDA

View Full Version : OT: vacay in Canada

psophia17
01-25-2007, 06:59 PM
Is there anywhere in Canada that is a must-see, as far as vacations go? DH told me to give him some ideas, but I'm at a loss...

Where would you go if you could?

Piglet
01-25-2007, 11:34 PM
I am biased because it is in our "backyard", but Banff and Lake Louise are AMAZING!! People come from all over the world to see them in both winter and summer. You can hike or simply drive from scenic view to scenic view and take little strolls. Banff townsite can get pretty busy, so the room rates are a bit high and can sometimes be hard to find. We like Canmore (about 15 minutes outside of Banff) - there are lots of condo hotels so there is lots of room for families.

I have also wanted to go to the Maritimes, but haven't actually been there. It is supposed to beautiful!

pampamz
01-26-2007, 12:14 PM
Ditto PP -- Banff and Maritimes are both great for sightseeing. I've never been to BC but imagine it would also be pretty nice to visit and would like to go their sometime.

There is also Ontario -- Toronto/Ottawa/Niagara. Niagara Falls is pretty cheesy (JMHO!) but everyone needs to see it atleast once.

It would depend also if you were taking any kids w/you.

Have fun!

Neatfreak
01-26-2007, 12:23 PM
The Maritimes are indeed beautiful! We never actually made it off of Newfoundland, but both of our families did and had great times in PEI, NS, and NB!

I think that Montreal is a must-see/must-experience ...

And I second Marina's Banff suggestion, and would suggest driving north through the Rockies to Jasper, as well. Just as lovely, but a little less full of wealthy tourists :)

hipmaman
01-26-2007, 07:32 PM
Depends on what you guys like to do and see, but the 'hot spots' for us have been the Maritimes (especially Prince Edward Island), Quebec (Montreal and Quebec city), Ontario (Ottawa in the spring, summer or fall and Toronto/Niagara areas; the Thousand Island area), Rockies with Banff, Jasper, Lake Louise, etc., and BC for Victoria and Vancouver areas.

NewfieNat
01-27-2007, 10:48 AM
The Maritimes actually exclude Newfoundland ;-) But indeed, Atlantic Canada is beautiful. Gros Morne National Park in Western Newfoundland is especially breathtaking.

Everyone should drive from coast to coast once in their life, but with kids, err, not so much. The scenic diversity is amazing.

Natalie

Neatfreak
01-27-2007, 04:19 PM
Sigh. My daughter will be learning a very different Canadian geography than I did in school :)

psophia17
01-27-2007, 10:58 PM
Banff and the Lake Louise area are all I could think of on my own - my sister honeymooned there.

Since I grew up in NY, and went to university very close to the Cdn border, I've been to Montreal and Ottawa, and I pretty well live in Vancouver, so they've been vetoed by DH, who wants to drive to Toronto. Whatever we end up doing, it'll be by car (unless I can convince him otherwise), because we'll be en route to NY to visit my family.

I am trying to push him into driving through the US, which I *think* would be better for the car, but well...no luck so far...

The next question - if you were going to drive coast to coast (either through the US or Canada), from Vancouver to upstate NY, what stops would you try and make along the way?

hipmaman
01-28-2007, 06:54 PM
All I can think of at this point is OMG that is one long haul. If memory serves well, we are talking about roughly 12 hrs (straight driving with only short pit-stops) from Vancouver to Calgary, another 13 hrs to Winnipeg, then another 20 hrs to Toronto area, then couple hrs to upstate NY, depending on where upstate it is. (Buffalo is only 1 hr from Toronto).

Wow, I have personally done these stretches over the years without kids and with kids only between Vancouver/Calgary and I don't relish this long haul. I have never done them all together though.

How long do you have for this vacation? And what kind of things do you guys like to see and do?

psophia17
01-29-2007, 07:38 PM
Upstate NY is 4 hours south of Montreal, right off I-87.

I am pushing to take a train or fly, but DH insists we should drive...when we moved back to Vancouver in 2004, DH drove from Montreal to Vancouver in 3 days. Dumbest thing he's down since I met him, but he did it.

The driving part is more about getting from Vancouver to NY quickly but taking pit stops for the kiddos as often as needed. We'll be in NY for at least 2 weeks, and then head back...

It's all up in the air, but before DH goes and tries to solidify plans, well...I want to be able to get my two cents in, kwim?

bubbaray
01-30-2007, 10:41 PM
I would love to do that drive, one way through the northern US, the opposite way through southern Canada. BUT, I wouldn't do it until the kids are older and could remember it.

I know quite a few people who've done that trip and its faster through the US. Plus, from basically Lethbridge to Winnipeg, there's not a lot to see except cornfields....

Your older DS might like Drumheller near Lethbridge. Its where the dinosaur bones are. Most people I know who do that trip have kids close to K-G1 age or older.

There's all sorts of places to go in BC. Depends on what you want to see and do, KWIM? Do you like the outdoors? Woodsy or ocean? camping or resorts? Even Dinotown just east of Chilliwack is a huge hit with kids.

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

pampamz
01-31-2007, 11:07 AM
ETA -- sorry, I have this backwards, you are starting West and coming East. So, instead you could try for a cheap flight from Alberta to ONtario, visit Ontario, maybe go down to Vermont or New Hampshire on your way to upstate NY?
--------------------------

Yikes -- driving from Southern Ontario to the Western provinces via Canada is B-O-R-I-N-G. I did it many times w/my family growing up.

Driving via the US is a much preferred route, atleast you can stop at the Mall of America or some urban centres. I would absolutely not take my kids driving through Northern Ontario, it is a major yawn. Nothing but rocks etc., scattered by the occasional landmark or small town/city.

I've also done the train from Toronto to Saskatchewan as a child and it is also a long and somewhat boring haul, sorry to say!

You could drive to Toronto (or Ottawa, Montreal), take a cheap flight (Tango, WestJet) out to Alberta and back, then drive back out to the Maritimes?

Just my honest opinion! There is lots to see here in Canada but a tricky country to drive across...

snowangel
03-12-2007, 08:12 PM
You could always rent a cottage in Muskoka for a week. http://www.muskoka.com/

Also, I am not sure how long it has been since you have been to Niagara Falls, but they have really made it nice there now. And there is lots and lots to do with kids. There is this big indoor waterpark which is super fun.