PDA

View Full Version : My terrible, horrible, no good, very bad shipping day

Piglet
02-17-2007, 09:48 PM
So, I already know the drill - never ship UPS to the US! I have learned my lesson once already after getting burned horribly on brokerage fees. I vowed NEVER to ship UPS... and them my MA broke a few weeks ago :( I called Britax and they said to ship the seat back (at their expense) via UPS Ground. I was skeptical, but obliged since I needed my seat fixed and Britax was footing the bill. After 2-3 attempts at getting the seat shipped (don't ask), I finally sent it off.

On Friday morning, I open the front door to find a delivery notice from UPS. They tried to deliver on Thursday and I wasn't home, but they requested I leave a cheque for $66 in brokerage fees for them. I get on the phone with UPS and try to get to the bottom of this. It turns out Britax failed to state that the seat was a warranty/replacement. They also stated the declared value at $200. I ask how I can fix this and am told that if Britax resends the commercial invoice (where they state the contents) that I will have my fees re-assessed. I get on the phone to Britax and finally get through and ask them to fax a new invoice, stating "warranty". They do it and I call UPS again to ask what is happening with my package. First I am told that a 2nd delivery attempt was made and only 1 more attempt will be made or the item will have to go back to the shipper. Then I am told that I still owe $48 in brokerage fees. I make a stink and they look up the revised commercial invoice. Britax has changed the value to be $100, but has once again failed to state that it is a warranty item. Now here is the kicker - I ask UPS what happens if Britax resends the invoice again, but stating it is a warranty item and I am told that brokerage would still apply, but no GST would be owing (wow a whopping $6 saving). SO they charge exorbitant brokerage fees even if there is no duty or GST owing... WTF??? I mean, what they heck am I paying for? I already paid for the seat once, and it was pretty pricy back then. Now my seat costs $48 more? The good news is that in one of the discussions with Britax they said that I can pay the brokerage and they would reimburse my fees, but I am so ticked off with UPS!!

So now I have to pay UPS for what may very well be my old carseat and Britax is out $48 (if they ever reimburse me). The only thing I discovered in dealing with UPS is that when someone does warranty work, they are supposed to state the declared value as the value of the repair, so if all I needed was a new screw for the seat and it costs $1, then they only have to state $1 as the declared value. I am going to call Britax (and hope they are open on Monday - President's Day) and see what they have to say. Either way I am forced to pay UPS the brokerage fees at this point because this will be the final delivery attempt and I really do need my seat back. My hands are tied, UPS is making boatloads of money and I really hope Britax doesn't let me down with reimbursing me the money.

Note to self... avoid UPS! I will post an update once the dust settles.

Neatfreak
02-19-2007, 07:37 AM
I'm sorry to hear that it's turned into such an ordeal, Marina! Ugh. I live in fear of brokerage fees ...

hipmaman
02-19-2007, 08:53 AM
Oooh, I hear you. Sorry for the trouble though. I had to pay $20 of duty on a damaged cover that Britax had to replace. Britax not to clear on the value declaration on replacement item. They just put the true value and I got dinged by Canada Post, but I had no energy at the time to fight anyone.

Good luck with yours. Is your MA bought at the Canadian retailer of from the US. If from Canada, I find stores (more or less boutiques that has the direct relationships with the distributor) often can help with things like this and we don't have the hassle with shipping or dealing with UPS or Britax.

Piglet
02-20-2007, 12:09 PM
So all's well that ends well (eventually)!

The sage ended with a bit of a mess, a lot of driving and lot of time spent on hold with both Britax and UPS. I was told on Friday that my seat would be delivered on Monday (which was great since it was a stat holiday here). I waited and waited and waited for it and by noon had not received it yet. I called UPS and they said that as of 3:30 pm on Friday, the seat was pulled off the truck and was on hold at their warehouse. I said that that was not supposed to be the case because right around 3:30 is when I was told that it would be delivered on Monday... uggghhh! They said that they could put the box back on the truck but it would only be delivered on Tuesday - excpet that I wouldn't have been home. I asked if I could drive to pick it up and they said that I could. I had to go to the other end of the city, but I just wanted this mess to be over! In the meantime I called Britax and confirmed that they will re-imburse my fees if I sent in my receipt (YAY Britax rocks!).

So... I am now in possession of a brand new (manufacture date of Jan/07) Cowmoo Marathon. On Britax's recommendation I kept my old cover (since they weren't sure I would get it back they said I should just keep it). Now I have 2 covers, which is awesome! The new manufacture date should last the new baby through to outgrowing the seat at age 5.5 or thereabouts. YAY - Britax REALLY rocks!

Even if they don't reimburse me, I won't be too upset since I get 1.5 more years on my seat and an extra cover, which is worth way more than $50. Had Britax just told me the seat was new, I probably wouldn't have hassled with all the UPS mess. I just hated the idea of paying $50 more for my old grungy seat.

Thanks for reading,

Neatfreak
02-21-2007, 08:55 AM
I have spare cover envy :) Glad that it worked out okay in the end, too!

chinook
02-23-2007, 12:52 PM
Marina,

Yes UPS is a total gong show. Glad to hear that in the end it all worked out, but what a hassle it sounds like it all was!!