PDA

View Full Version : MSP question

psophia17
03-07-2007, 09:41 PM
Anyone here have the Mirena IUD? I know MSP covers at least part of it (my OB told me so while I was pg), but wasn't sure how much I'd have to pay out of pocket. I want to get one, and I want to make sure I've got the money ready when my immigration goes through.

TIA!

ps. I'm in BC, if it makes a difference...

bubbaray
03-07-2007, 09:54 PM
I *think* MSP (BC health care -- coverage is different in each province) only pays for the dr's fee for insertion -- you have to purchase the actual *hardware* yourself. Kinda like non-MSP shots (travel shots, etc) -- you go to the pharmacy with your dr's Rx and buy the vial, bring it back to the dr and the dr gives you the shot. You don't pay fees to the dr, they are covered under MSP, but the shot itself is a private pay thing.

Good luck!

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

psophia17
03-08-2007, 10:01 AM
I'll have to check on that. My OB told me not to get it until after my coverage came through, because it would be cheaper after than before. Since my OB visits were all free, I wouldn't have had an insertion fee...hmmm.

I'll have to add finding out to the list of things to do.

Piglet
03-08-2007, 03:04 PM
I am also planning on getting a Mirena after this baby and was told that the insertion was covered (just as my OB appointments were) but the IUD was not. In fact, my very large, international oil and gas company won't pay for IUDs in the benefits plan, so I am out the cost of the IUD no matter :( They also don't pay for eye exams or glasses - I guess they like their employees blind and pregnant!

psophia17
03-08-2007, 03:12 PM
Well, it could be worse...

Near as I can tell, the Mirena costs $280Cad, but in the States it's $515USD...finally we get a good deal!

bubbaray
03-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Your OB visits aren't technically free -- they are paid by MSP. That's what I was meaning. You likely won't pay a fee for the OB portion of the cost, MSP will pay the OB's insertion fee (I think). I'm pretty sure they don't pay the cost of the IUD itself. You would have to try to get it covered under an extended health plan, though most (like Marina said) don't cover contraception of any form (IUD, pill, shots, whatever).

Good luck!

Melissa

psophia17
03-08-2007, 08:13 PM
Nope, my OB visits were free. I don't have MSP coverage yet, so I went to a clinic in Vancouver for all the routine appts. My bloodwork was also free, but my u/s and L&D we had to pay out of pocket.

Piglet
03-08-2007, 09:35 PM
See that is what bugs me - my plan through my employer covered the pill, Depo, etc., but not IUDs. It doesn't make any sense - why would they rather reimburse my monthly pill purchases than my IUD purchase?! DH thinks it has to do with the fact that the IUD is a one time expense so if I get it reimbursed and quit the next day they are out the money no matter. He might be right. Otherwise, I think it is because the pill and the like are prescribed for many health concerns other than contraception whereas the IUD is really only used for contraception.

bubbaray
03-09-2007, 09:15 AM
How can that be? The dr must be getting paid by someone.

Melissa

psophia17
03-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Taxes, I suppose...It's all run through Vancouver Coastal Health, and to my knowledge is specifically for people who don't have coverage.

Every time it asked me for my PHN, I was told to put in n/a, and everything that was sourced out of the clinic was free, except my ultrasound and the L&D charges.