PDA

View Full Version : Toys R Us Canada

Piglet
04-17-2007, 11:37 AM
So, this is more of a rant than a rave, although it was supposed to be a rave :(

I have been trying to find a cheap Dora's Magic Castle playset for the boys (they have some girls friends that have it and they love it). I don't want to spend a lot because it it just to keep them occupied when baby arrives and I am sure it will lose it's cool soon enough. I was so pleasantly surprised to find it on the clearance section of www.toysrus.ca - 50% off no less. I was so impressed with the website and prices that I kept on searching for more toys. In the end I decided to just buy the castle. The best part of all (or so I thought) was that it qualified for Free Shipping, which is pretty substantial (it costs $10 to ship any item to Alberta). When I went to check out, I discovered that they were charging me shipping. On further investigation, it seems that all of Calgary is not included intheir Free Shipping region. Their policy states "Toysrus.ca offers Free Shipping on select items through out the site. Offer applies to online orders of selected items for delivery to Canadian addresses by regular shipping only and excludes delivery to some remote locations". Then there is a chart of these "remote" postal codes. To my surprise, it excludes all of Alberta and B.C., it seems!
https://www.toysrus.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HelpDetailView?storeId=10051&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&sectt=ship#11

I called their customer service number and spoke with someone there that basically said that there was absolutely nothing that could be done, even when I asked if it might just be a typo. I told her that from their perspective, they might want to open themselves up to some very large urban (not remote) centres by revisiting their policies. She told me to speak with corporate - which turned out to be impossible, since she woudn't give me the number, just he mailiing address or fax number. I just wish they were truthful and said "we only offer free shipping to Ontario and Quebec (or wherever) and we are working on expanding this range". Or charge reasonable shipping, or whatever.

Harumph!

bubbaray
04-17-2007, 11:40 AM
Well, Toronto is the center of the universe, after all....

Web shopping in Canada sucks. And the retailers wonder why we all shop from US websites?!

I would ask to speak to a supervisor. Remind them that Calgary is NOT a remote location.... sheesh!

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

Neatfreak
04-17-2007, 02:37 PM
That's so weird, Marina! I had an order shipped free to St. John's last year - which strikes me as more remote than Calgary!

Piglet
04-17-2007, 02:53 PM
Western Alienation ;)

psophia17
04-17-2007, 03:05 PM
Can you have it shipped to a TRU location? I have done that before, but maybe it only works b/c I know someone who works at the local TRU, and she intercepts stuff for me...

I always suspected Vancouver was remote...

Piglet
04-17-2007, 03:12 PM
They won't ship to the store according to the very ahem, helpful, customer service person I spoke with.

bubbaray
04-17-2007, 03:49 PM
Sing it, Sista! :)

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

torontomom
04-17-2007, 04:14 PM
deleted...

Piglet
04-17-2007, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the suggestion! That is exactly what I did and they have it in stock and on clearance :)

I had called yesterday and asked someone at my local TRU if they will do a price match to the internet price and they said they couldn't, but I didn't think of actually asking them what the price was. I just called again and they have quite a few in stock and on clearance. Now I just have to find a way to get to the store without the boys (DH has a work function tonight).

torontomom
04-17-2007, 07:49 PM
deleted...

Piglet
04-17-2007, 08:49 PM
LOL - sorry about the previous TO bashing - it's nothing personal ;)

Piglet
04-17-2007, 08:49 PM
LOL - sorry about the previous TO bashing - it's nothing personal ;)

torontomom
04-17-2007, 09:53 PM
deleted...

torontomom
04-17-2007, 09:53 PM
deleted...