PDA

View Full Version : car seat approved for US and Canada

judkat
04-25-2007, 04:56 PM
Hi,

Does anyone know which carseats are approved for both the US and Canada? We are living in California now but will be returning to Ontario at the end of the summer. My daughter has outgrown her Roundabout and I need to get her something else. It seems ridiculous to have to get ANOTHER one once we get back to Canada.

Thanks,
Judy

hipmaman
04-25-2007, 05:49 PM
Britax Marathon, Sunshine Kids Radian are the ones with higher harness weight and longer seatback and higher top harness slots than the Roundabout.

However, they are not to the same weight limits as in the US. In the US, these are rf to 33 lbs and ff to 65 lbs. In Canada, they are rf to 30 lbs and ff to 48 lbs. There are works being done to up the max weight limit for harnessed seats to 65 lbs, but nothing official yet.

BUT, when you bring in a non-Canadian certified seat for use, it's still considered illegal seat, if you are not short-term visitor, eventhough the seat might be the same seat in both countries. They are tested to different safety standards, therefore certification applies to only for the country it's tested for and sold in. This applies the other way too (non-US seat in the US).

Since you are going to have to get another seat for her now, might as well get a US one that works now and would last her. Either way, it's 'illegal' so why not take care of her safety and get an appropriate seat for her now.

judkat
04-25-2007, 11:46 PM
Thanks,

I think I'll find something here that isn't too expensive but fits her and get rid of both (my US Roundabout and the new seat) when we leave and get a Canadian Marathon or maybe a combo seat in Canada when we are back. I'm not sure what is available currently in Canada. I know the Marathons are more expensive :(. It's too bad that they weren't compatible. It seems crazy to get rid of a perfectly good car seat (I'm referring to her Roundabout) only to buy the exact same thing with a different sticker. I was planning on putting my 4 month old in the Roundabout. But I think this time I should skip the Roundabout and get the Marathon for her from the start, given that my girls are so tall.

Again thanks for the info,
Judy

o_mom
04-26-2007, 07:25 AM
If she is under 40 lbs, I would get something like a Graco Cargo to use until you leave and then buy a Marathon or Radian when you get back. That way you are only spending $80-100 and can probably sell it for $40-50 in a few months.

bubbaray
04-26-2007, 07:29 PM
I don't know the law in ON, but in BC, it seems that you can't get a ticket for using a US spec'd seat for a child over 40lbs. This is NOT legal advice, but something you might want to check into in Ontario. The laws are quite different by province.

A lot depends on the age & weight of your child. If we were talking about a 39lb 4 or 5 yo, and IT WERE ME (just offering MY choice), I might seriously consider bringing a US Regent to BC. Which, perhaps, might be my plan in any event, LOL....

If you DD is younger, a Regent probably isn't your best bet anyway.

If she fits and you want a cheaper US seat, why not try a Scenara for now?

The US Graco Cargos are tested to 40lbs. If you are interested in that seat, its worth it to wait and get one in Canada, they are rated to 48lbs here. Ditto the Evenflo combination seats, they are rated to 40lbs in the US, to 47lbs in Canada. My 3yo uses an Evenflo combination seat (Vision, got it at Walmart for $89Cdn) for her daycare seat and it is OK. Not something I'd want to use every day or for long trips, but its fine for using once or twice a week for short trips. The harness is almost as high as the MA.

You might want to post over on the car seat board. If you are looking for the highest top slot seat in Canada, its the Radian. Runs $199Cdn at Canadian Tire. A little more reasonable than a Cdn MA, but again, depends on the age of your child and the vehicle you are installing it in. I still prefer the MA for my baby, but our RN works fine for my 3yo. The MA and the RN both go to 48lbs in Canada.

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007